Great Blue Heron Casino & Hotel is looking for two (2) part-time First Cooks to join our growing team!
Reporting to the Sous Chef/Executive Chef, the First Cook is responsible for providing exceptional food quality for employees and guests. This role required the incumbent to demonstrate strong knowledge of food safety and ensuring that all cleaning and sanitation requirements are always adhered to.
The ideal candidate is an energetic professional with proven knowledge, skills and abilities, executing the following in support of the company’s vision, mission and values:
• Excellent internal and external customer service skills are required to be displayed at all times
• Prepare food for the buffet, a la carte menu, cafeteria and catering events according to specifications and guest requests
• Prepare a la carte menu orders as per specifications and ensure proper presentation and garnishment of dishes in an efficient manner
• Collaborate with Third Cook to ensure all food items are prepared under the supervision of the Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager
• Bake, roast, steam broil and cook food as required
• Control food waste and spoilage
• Restock low food items and inventory during shift
• Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen area at all times
• Inspect work area daily and report any hazards and/or defective equipment to the Sous Chef/Manager immediately
• Comply with all health and safety requirements including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as required
• Report all injuries, accidents and unusual conditions to the Sous Chef immediately
• Perform other duties as required by the Sous Chef
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following qualifications:
• Must have formal culinary training with 4-5 years of progressive culinary experience in a large kitchen
• Extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment, food safety and sanitation practices
• Must be WHMIS certified
• Show initiative and understanding of other roles and responsibilities in the kitchen
• Exceptional knife handling skills
• Ability to follow and provide instructions in a friendly and professional manner
• Be thoroughly familiar with the causes of food poisoning and method of prevention
• Ability to analyze current inventory and develop daily prep lists in order to control food waste and spoilage
• Ability to prioritize and possess excellent time management and organizational skills
• Maintain a positive working relationship with fellow employees and management as part of a team
• Ability to work independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to perform tasks and duties effectively and safely within prescribed time limits
Submit your internal application form and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. One Toronto Gaming accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to advise Human Resources of requirements in advance.
Great Canadian Entertainment is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we welcome all qualified applicants to join our team of unique contributors. We accommodate people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process and applicants are encouraged to advise Human Resources in advance if an accommodation is required. We thank all applicants for their interest and will contact those qualified to continue in the recruitment process.