The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With over 80 employees working across five sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians. Our purpose is to be a catalyst, powering world class innovation while supporting deeply personal cancer journeys.
We are looking for an Intermediate Accountant who will assist with the management and safeguarding of the financial assets, payroll and accounting processes of the BC Cancer Foundation. You will have the opportunity to obtain a broad understanding of different accounting functions being a backup to number of the roles in the department as well as have prior experience or willingness to learn payroll processing.
Reporting to the Controller, you will be a key member of the Finance team and will enjoy working collaboratively with individuals and teams across the Foundation to consistently monitor and improve our financial systems and process.
This position manages all aspects of the bi-weekly payroll processing through Ceridian, including administration of deductions processing and remittances and all entries and accruals to the financial systems. The Accountant is responsible for ensuring compliance with appropriate legislative and CRA requirements for all payroll procedures, and for providing a high level of service to internal staff, prior experience would be an asset but not essential but ability to learn required.
In addition you will welcome the opportunity to contribute to many of the finance team’s deliverables including learning about and providing backup to the special purpose funds, investment & accounts payable functions. In addition you will assist with the budgeting and planning process as well as audit preparation and be a contact for both the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and BC Cancer related to accounting questions or issues.
Key responsibilities for this position will include:
- Responsible for the accounting and management reporting functions, including the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial and management reports, audited statements and CRA filings
- Act as a secondary contact with external auditors and ensure compliance with CRA requirements
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
- Preparation of weekly revenue reports & quarterly revenue thermometer reporting
- Prepare Raisers Edge/Financial Edge, MasterCard & postage meter reconciliations
- Provide backup for special purpose funds, investment and accounts payable functions
- Working with HR and Ceridian to process bi-weekly payroll, calculate new hire pro-rated gross pay, short-term disability and maternity top-up schedule payments & perform initial review of payroll before submission to Ceridian
- Perform Municipal Pension Plan Reporting on a bi-weekly basis, enrolment and termination of employees and year end pension adjustments
- Prepare Desjardins health and dental benefit reconciliation and new hire employer benefit costing
- Employee donation reporting
- Post-secondary education in accounting, finance or business studies as well as a CPA, CA, CGA or CMA qualification
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in an accounting/financial environment dealing with payroll and accounting functions or an equivalent combination of education/experience
- Possess a Payroll Management Certificate, be currently enrolled in a Payroll certificate program or interested in obtaining one
- Advanced proficiency with accounting/analysis tools, accounting systems and databases such as Excel, Word, Access, Pivot tables, PeopleSoft, or other ERP system
Core knowledge + skills:
- The ideal person has an extensive knowledge of accounting principles and a full understanding of GAAP; including an understanding of non-profit CRA regulations.
- Strong analytical and reporting abilities, as well as mathematical aptitude with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy are required for this role.
- Excellent organization skills with demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, projects, and activities
- Knowledge in the principles, methods, and procedures of manual and/or computerized payroll (Ceridian system), calculating and processing pension plan remittances and experience in a not-for-profit environment and/or with fund accounting is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency working in accounting software packages (Financial Edge) and the MS Office applications – particularly Word and Excel.
- Ability to prioritize, effectively multi-task, and balance varying and changing demands
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner and demonstrates teamwork within and across departments to achieve optimal collective results
- Uphold and contribute to our values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- 5 weeks’ vacation plus office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years, as well as half days office closures before each statutory holiday
- Comprehensive benefit package including coverage for health, dental, vision and various paramedical services, plus participation in the Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
As an employer, occupational health and safety legislation requires that we protect our workers from health and safety risks in the workplace. BC Cancer Foundation has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring that all staff who work in any of our physical workplaces must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Considerations and reasonable accommodations can be taken upon request and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.