The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With almost 80 employees working across five sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians. Our purpose is to be a catalyst, powering world class innovation while supporting deeply personal cancer journeys.
We are looking for an Accounts Payable Clerk who will assist with the management and safeguarding of the financial assets, and accounting processes of the BC Cancer Foundation. You will have had experience processing all aspects of accounts payable and providing a wide range of accounting functions.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, you will be a key member of the Finance team and will enjoy working collaboratively with individuals and teams across the Foundation to consistently monitor and improve our financial systems and process.
You will welcome the opportunity to contribute to many of the Finance team’s deliverables including learning about and providing backup to the special purpose funds, investment & accounts payable functions. In addition you will assist with the budgeting and planning process as well as audit preparation and be a contact for both the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and BC Cancer related to accounting questions or issues.
Key responsibilities for this position will include:
- Perform all aspects of Accounts Payable function in a timely manner, reply to invoice and payment enquires and provide foundation department’s appropriate project and transaction codes
- Provide expense claim training to new staff and refresher courses
- Complete vendor credit applications
- Provide banking information for incoming/outgoing wire transfers and electronic fund transfers
- Prepare wire templates and set up outgoing wire transfers and internal bank account transfers with BMO for controller approval
- Download MasterCard statements and distribute to departments for coding
- Assist upload of invoices into Papersave when requested and provide help on Papersave operational requests
- Postage meter readings on a monthly basis
- Monthly bank statement downloads and Blackbaud merchant service reimbursement reports
- Prepare sales/purchase orders required for purchasing equipment or services
- Annual insurance renewal preparation
- 3+ years’ experience in an accounting/financial environment dealing with accounts payable and accounting functions is required or an equivalent combination of education/experience
- Proficiency with accounting/analysis tools, accounting systems and databases such as Excel, Word, Access, PeopleSoft, or other ERP system
- Some accounting courses is considered an asset but not essential to succeed at this role
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, projects, and activities
Core knowledge & skills:
- Extensive knowledge and experience of full cycle accounts payable
- Experience in a not-for-profit environment and/or with fund accounting is considered a strong asset as well as other accounting experience.
- Proficiency working in accounting software packages and the MS Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Strong analytical and reporting abilities, as well as mathematical aptitude with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Excellent organization skills with demonstrated ability to establish work priorities, effectively multitask, and balance varying and changing demands
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner and demonstrates teamwork within and across departments to achieve optimal collective results.
- Uphold and contribute to our values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- 4 weeks’ vacation plus office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years, as well as half days office closures before each statutory holiday
- Comprehensive benefit package including coverage for health, dental, vision and various paramedical services, plus participation in the Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
As an employer, occupational health and safety legislation requires that we protect our workers from health and safety risks in the workplace. BC Cancer Foundation has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring that all staff who work in any of our physical workplaces must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Considerations and reasonable accommodations can be taken upon request and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.