The BC Cancer Foundation (“BCCF”) is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With over 70 employees working across 5 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists, and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate, and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians. Our purpose is to be a catalyst, powering world class innovation while supporting deeply personal cancer journeys.
We are looking for a Communications Specialist who is passionate about media relations and communicating to audiences in inspiring ways, and is energized by the opportunity to execute strategies that elevate stakeholder awareness and support of the BC Cancer Foundation’s activities.
You like to write, create and connect. You are a media relations and content expert with impeccable communications skills, including interviewing, writing and media pitching. You are a strategic storyteller who connects audiences to a brand through compelling stories that drive engagement and motivate action. You are an organized team player who understands how to balance multiple priorities, implement communications strategies, manage relationships and elevate peer content with your editing skills. You are a flexible collaborator who is highly motivated to work for a purpose-driven organization and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Content & Communications, responsibilities will include:
- Act as the media’s main point of contact for BC Cancer Foundation
- Write and edit effective media releases, pitches and responses, key messages, speaking points, and briefing documents
- Oversee and execute media plans and strategies by organizing broadcast segments, video shoots, press conferences, and other media opportunities
- Develop and implement our media strategy alongside the Marketing & Communications leaders
- Proactively seek out media opportunities across the province that align with current fundraising priorities, campaigns, events and strategic projects
- Provide support and advice to Foundation and BC Cancer spokespeople
- Manage media monitoring and monthly results reporting
- Liaise with BC Cancer scientists, oncologists, patients and donors to identify and curate compelling stories that elevate BC Cancer’s reputation and inspire action
- Support content planning and project timelines for the BC Cancer Foundation magazine and e-newsletter, working collaboratively with internal stakeholders for content opportunities and curation
- Cultivate and nurture relationships by regularly engaging with internal and external stakeholders
Core knowledge + skills:
- Public relations and media relations
- Robust understanding of B.C. media market
- Content planning and curation
- Writing, editing and content creation
- Project management
- Degree in communications, marketing or a related field
- Minimum of five to seven years’ experience in marketing and communications, media or public relations
- Track record of building and executing successful public relations strategies
- Existing relationships with media across the province, with a track record of securing quality media coverage
- Ability to translate complex information into concise and engaging copy for a general audience
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) and the ability to create compelling content
- Ability to effectively manage and execute projects independently with minimal supervision and guidance
- Ability to work across all levels of the organization, including C-suite executives and external stakeholders
- Ability to use sound judgment and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive or confidential information
- You are curious and a quick learner who is proactive and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Nice to haves
- Experience with executive thought-leadership and executive profiling
- Experience with Meltwater platform/PR analytics and reporting
- Mix of for-profit and non-profit experience
- Previous experience managing agency partners/contractors
- Science comprehension
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
As an employer, occupational health and safety legislation requires that we protect our workers from health and safety risks in the workplace. BC Cancer Foundation has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring that all staff who work in any of our physical workplaces must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Considerations and reasonable accommodations can be taken upon request and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.