Ready to make a difference in our effort to break down cancer? In this dynamic role, you will be part of a highly respected organization and B.C.’s largest charitable funder of cancer research. The work environment is fun, fast-paced, and highly rewarding. We are seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented individual with experience in project management and event planning to help grow the success of BC Cancer Foundation’s flagship cycling event. If you are passionate about this cause and revel in providing solutions, this is the position for you.
About the Event
The Tour de Cure is a community movement and BC Cancer Foundation’s flagship cycling fundraiser with a goal of raising $5+ million each year. It’s a year-round peer-to-peer fundraising program that fuels life-saving research at BC Cancer and it plays a significant role in both fundraising and awareness for the BC Cancer Foundation.
About the BC Cancer Foundation
We are the fundraising partner of BC Cancer. The money we raise supports leading clinicians, scientists, and researchers to achieve new discoveries and improve patient outcomes. The impact is real and felt throughout the province, across Canada, and around the world.
With over 70 employees working across 5 sites in B.C we are actively working with donors and communities to inspire investment in world-leading scientists, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team that believes we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians. Our purpose is to be a catalyst, powering world class innovation while supporting deeply personal cancer journeys.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Tour de Cure, the Program Manager is a combination of project manager, events and production manager. As this role evolves there will be opportunity to take on additional events and programs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and manage detailed project schedules and workback plans, including monitoring project progress in collaboration with all internal departments, and making adjustments and mitigating risks if needed
- Manage and execute program budget to ensure event and projects are delivered on time, within budget and meet expectations
- Manage event design, event plan and execution as well as all event-related production and operations
- Coordinate all amenities, accommodations for staff, site selection, food, transportation, and audio or visual equipment
- Manage relationship with the event logistics supplier and all program operation including, but not limited to: shipment of assets to and from event location, communicating event setup/breakdown details, updating and tracking deliverables needed, and managing timelines
- Conduct volunteer recruitment and stewardship
- Collaborate with event logistics supplier on vendor sourcing, management and communication including managing/negotiating supplier bids/contracts, RFP’s and relationships as well as ensuring venue and vendor invoices/payments are received and accounted for
- Manage sponsorship fulfillment with guidance from the Corporate Relations team
- Engage with and support internal teams, such as Marketing & Communications, who are responsible for content development and promotion deployment
- Prepare annual content including impact reports and logistic messaging
- Conduct event and project evaluation and measure project/event performance to identify areas for improvement
The Person and Skills
The successful candidate will be positive, proactive, and embody a can-do attitude no matter what task. Skills associated with this position include:
- Compassion, sensitivity, confidentiality and mature judgment skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills to manage relationships and work in a diverse community
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a dynamic team environment
- Organizational and time management skills with a proven ability to balance diverse workloads and meet multiple deadlines under pressure in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Able to pivot priorities and remain flexible when changes, delays, or unexpected events occur
- Strong problem-solving skills, with proven ability to be resourceful and creative
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy
- Knowledge of event management and business skills, including budgeting experience and financial competence
- Competence in computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience in Convio and Raiser’s Edge NXT is an asset
- The ideal candidate will have minimum five years’ related experience, preferably working within events, program management, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must be ready and willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
As an employer, occupational health and safety legislation requires that we protect our workers from health and safety risks in the workplace. BC Cancer Foundation has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring that all staff who work in any of our physical workplaces must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Considerations and reasonable accommodations can be taken upon request and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.