The BC Cancer Foundation (“BCCF”) is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With over 70 employees working across 5 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists, and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate, and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians. Our purpose is to be a catalyst, powering world class innovation while supporting deeply personal cancer journeys.
About the opportunity:
The Advancement Services Team Leader provides a combination of leadership and customer service to both donors and frontline fundraisers, as well as manages a team of Advancement Services Representatives / Clerks.
The Team Leader plays a key role in the success of the department by ensuring optimum performance of the whole processing team by: establishing goals and deadlines, delivering training and assigning and supervising workload for the Advancement Services team members.
This role directly manages the timelines and outputs of donation processing by the Advancement Services team and works closely with the Senior Manager, the Project and Data Specialist and Development (fundraising) staff to ensure effective collaboration.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Advancement Services and acts as a key liaison for frontline fundraisers to ensure fundraising needs are supported. In addition, the successful candidate will have strong project management and coordination skills to support an ever evolving department.
- This role is the bridge between Advancement Services and Development as it relates to gift processing, CRA-related enquiries and donor needs
- Leads the team’s day-to-day interactions with donors as frontline staff responds to donor enquiries and requests
- Manages and prioritizes workload and activities for the team as needed, based on departmental and organizational needs
- Manages the Advancement Services inbox and ensures all enquiries and requests are completed to satisfaction within the established deadlines
- Responds to internal and external request / complaint escalations in a timely and professional manner
- Works directly with the Special Events team to coordinate all timelines and requirements as it relates to gift processing for both internal and external events
- Supports the Senior Manager with providing PaperSave (Gifts) and Asana onboarding and training for the Foundation
- Delivers specific training for all Development Coordinator positions on gift submission, gift coding and CRA best practices
- Attends monthly Development Meetings and delivers team and gift processing updates, as well as new department initiatives
- Provides strategic input on process review and optimization for gift processing activities
- Coordinates and oversees gift processing backup submissions for internal interim and annual audits, in collaboration with the Finance department
- Provides training and education opportunities for the Advancement Services staff to deepen their knowledge of philanthropic priorities and deepen donor engagement
- Participates directly in the annual business and strategic planning process, and supports the overall evaluation of the Advancement Services program and donor interactions
- Supports the Senior Manager in campaign planning related to the development of processes and ensures continuity of Advancement Services activities leading up to and during a capital campaign
- Manages and develops an annual performance plan, followed by a personal work plan, for Advancement Services team members
- Leads the evaluation of team activities for which the portfolio is directly responsible, as well as identifying areas of future potential
- Supports and oversees PCI compliance requirements as it applies to gift processing; ensures the Advancement Services team is up to date in internal PCI compliant practices
- Ensures appropriate security measures are being exercised at all times; is knowledgeable about security for all media and technology related to recording gifts and all databases, payment gateways, payment providers and software used to support the department’s activities
- Ideally has 1-2 years relevant experience, preferably in a complex fundraising organization with a large donor base and a medium to large team
Core knowledge + skills:
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to create and maintain a positive team-oriented work environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and to promote customer service excellence to others
- Ability to determine priorities and balance workload, both personal and for a medium to large team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook and working knowledge of Microsoft Excel are required
- Current knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, specifically relating to gift records and gift processing would be an advantage
- Understanding of gift processing – bequests, estates, life insurance, tribute gifts, gift in kind, etc. as well as knowledge of CRA rules and regulations as they relate to gift processing and charitable activities would be advantageous
- Working knowledge of Asana and Slack an asset
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
As an employer, occupational health and safety legislation requires that we protect our workers from health and safety risks in the workplace. BC Cancer Foundation is in the process of implementing a mandatory vaccination policy requiring that all staff who work in any of our physical workplaces must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Considerations and reasonable accommodations can be taken upon request and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.