The BC Cancer Foundation (BCCF) is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With over 70 employees working across 5 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians.
About the Opportunity:
The BC Cancer Foundation is seeking a Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts for our Interior team. Working as part of the Regional Major Gifts team, the Senior Development Officer is responsible for generating major gifts within the Interior Region. This role will manage a portfolio of major gift ($25,000+) prospects, and will be responsible for the prospecting, cultivation and stewardship strategies that will enable the BC Cancer Foundation to increase revenue through individual giving.
This individual works closely with other Foundation staff to ensure seamless donor integration between specialized portfolios, including donor experience, annual giving, gift & estate planning and other special Foundation projects. This individual will interface regularly with provincial Foundation staff to ensure provincial programs are supported in the region.
The ideal candidate for this role has demonstrated success in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gift donors. Excellent interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to develop and manage relationships in a number of different capacities – with donors, volunteers, Regional Development Council members, senior administrators, medical and research staff. We require a candidate with the ability to work simultaneously on a variety of complex projects with tight deadlines. Other attributes include strong organizational and analytical skills, and demonstrated business planning and project management skills.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Interior & Prince George, responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan designed to increase funding; and heighten public awareness of BC Cancer research and care in the Interior region.
- Participating in the planning and evaluation of fundraising programs, campaigns, projects and events to ensure that the focus and integrity of the BC Cancer Foundation is maintained and resources deployed where appropriate.
- Participating in the recruitment and subsequent involvement of corporate and community leaders in the cultivation and solicitation of gifts.
- Setting and achieving aspirational annual activity goals aligned with the priorities of the Foundation and BC Cancer related to: strategic donor engagement; solicitations (current and planned gifts) and the success rate of same; engagement of our BC Cancer partners; and collaborative activities related to revenue generation across the Foundation.
- Evaluating site/program results with direct manager to identify potential challenges and respond to day-to-day concerns.
- Building strong and collaborative working relationships with the Interior, BC Cancer Site leadership teams to ensure alignment and support for fundraising activity.
- Develop and maintain a good working knowledge of BC Cancer.
- Representing the BC Cancer Foundation, when requested, at official meetings and functions as required.
- Supporting other Provincial fundraising initiatives and projects on an as needed basis which may include fundraising support for our Donor Experience initiatives, developing Corporate Relationships to support our Corporate Relations strategy, supporting targeting fundraising activity and campaigns within the Development team.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising / donor relations, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Must have a demonstrated ability to secure significant gifts
Core knowledge + skills:
- Specialized knowledge of sophisticated fundraising programs particularly in Major Gifts
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to provide clear information
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices; keen interest in new and innovative ideas for research and pipeline management
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, effectiveness and organizational skills and the ability to work well and within timelines
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically; adhering to professional standards and protecting the confidential information of BCCF and BC Cancer
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, database/information management, email and internet. A knowledge of sophisticated fundraising software programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge would be an advantage
- Uphold and contribute to BCCF’s values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.