Pacific Blue Cross has been British Columbia's leading benefits provider for 75 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. Together with our subsidiary BC Life, we provide health, dental, life, disability and travel coverage to 1 in 3 British Columbians through employee group plans and individual plans.
We are fueled by a commitment to keep health care sustainable for all British Columbians. Through our Pacific Blue Cross Health Foundation, we also provide funding to community organizations with a focus on alleviating mental illness and chronic disease. We're interested in finding people who want to make a difference and who will take advantage of every opportunity to build a career with us.
Pacific Blue Cross offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, fitness programs, and an onsite gym and cafeteria. Our workplace culture values health and wellness, continuing education, environmental sustainability and giving back to the community.
We are currently recruiting for two Assistant Manager, Claims Services (EHC and Dental) staff members to join the Claims Services team.
This unique and challenging role will be located at our head office in Burnaby.
Under the broad direction of the Manager, Claims Services, the Assistant Manager, Claims Services (EHC and Dental) provides leadership support to the Claims Services department in planning, directing, and controlling all aspects of the department. The Assistant Manager will assume operational responsibility for the department in the manager’s absence. The role is responsible for working on projects, and with other departments to develop and continuously improve cross-functional processes.
Leadership, Employee Development and Performance Coaching
Provides leadership to employees to promote motivation and teamwork and to ensure the provision of a skilled workforce by:
- setting clear performance objectives for each team member, monitoring skills and abilities of the team members, providing informal coaching and mentoring support for the assigned employees;
- conducting regular formal coaching sessions to review individual performance, conducting formal performance reviews to identify strengths and challenges;
- overseeing training and career development activities for the team;
- conducting regular team meetings to facilitate open communication.
Mentors team members, creating an environment where the team can develop their skills.
Maintains appropriate and effective staffing levels of the team through effective workforce planning, reporting, interviewing and selecting employees as required.
Monitors attendance and performance of employees, and addresses concerns through effective administration of the Attendance Management Program as required.
Participates in the progressive discipline process as required. Follows up and follows through with team members on plans that are set-up.
Develops coaching and action plans with Team Leader’s to assist staff that aren’t meeting expectations.
Reports historical volumes and absenteeism to build daily and monthly plans to manage workflow within service standards. Maintains these reports with current statistics.
Manages Team Leader’s reporting to ensure accuracy; develops and maintain mentorship plans and assists in the same for their team members.
Department and Interdepartmental Planning and Effectiveness
Partners with the manager, creates the departmental tactical plan in line with corporate objectives, establishes individual objectives, communicates organizational and departmental goals and expectations to the team, and ensures effective utilization of resources so objectives are achieved.
In partnership with the manager, creates the workforce plan, monitors it regularly, proactively creates and implements strategies to address gaps and service deficiencies.
Partners with managers and other internal and external stakeholders across the organization to ensure effective cross-departmental planning, communication and implementation of plans in achievement of PBC’s overall strategic plan.
Researches, recommends and implements technologies, ensures process improvements, and improves effectiveness and efficiency of department in order that PBC remain cost effective and competitive.
Handles or assists employees in dealing with difficult problem inquiries and complaints from clients, plan administrators, governmental agencies, and other external stakeholders.
Attends client meetings to build client relationships, resolve issues, and partner with the clients to improve service or to work on joint projects.
Project and Change Management
Provides leadership support throughout project management cycle, such as assistance in identifying opportunities, establishing objectives, evaluating the ROI, implementing the changes and evaluating their success.
Provides supervision and mentoring to Team Leaders to ensure delivery of all workflows and project deliverables within service expectations and budget to maintain service and operational standards.
Within the scope of their accountabilities, advocates and drives the change, ensures effective communication, reward and recognition, and manages resistance to change as appropriate.
Directs User Acceptance Testing throughout the department for requested projects.
Contributes to project Quality Assurance assessments.
General Department Support
Assists with administration of the department in activities such as TMSS, statistical reporting, and other duties.
- University degree or technical school diploma in a relevant field (Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, etc.), including or supplemented by courses in leadership or supervision
- A minimum of five years’ experience in the insurance industry, or in a leadership position
- Demonstrated experience in managing a large (40+) team of administrative staff
- Leadership development certificate courses
- Business Analytics courses
- Demonstrated strength in customer service orientation
- Demonstrated financial acumen and workforce planning
- Demonstrated ability to turn strategic goals into successful objectives
- Exceptional relationship building skills and self-awareness
- Strong change management and time management acumen
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office software, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short listed candidates will be contacted.