Pacific Blue Cross has been British Columbia's leading benefits provider for 75 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. Together with our subsidiary BC Life, we provide health, dental, life, disability and travel coverage to 1 in 3 British Columbians through employee group plans and individual plans.
We are fueled by a commitment to keep health care sustainable for all British Columbians. Through our Pacific Blue Cross Health Foundation, we also provide funding to community organizations with a focus on alleviating mental illness and chronic disease. We're interested in finding people who want to make a difference and who will take advantage of every opportunity to build a career with us.
Pacific Blue Cross offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, fitness programs, and an onsite gym and cafeteria. Our workplace culture values health and wellness, continuing education, environmental sustainability and giving back to the community.
We are currently recruiting for an Internal Auditor to join the Audit team.
This unique and challenging role will be located at our head office in Burnaby.
Under the direction of the Manager, Internal Audit, the Internal Auditor is responsible for planning and executing risk-based financial, operational, and compliance audit projects of varying complexity in alignment with the Audit Plan and the PBC Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts research to obtain background information and establish audit criteria.
- Develops risk-based audit objectives, scope, and programs (programs (i.e. procedures, methodology, checklists and questionnaires).
- Adjusts plans and programs as appropriate to reflect risks identified and areas of concern raised by stakeholders.
- Assists in developing, implementing and using auditing tools and/or database.
- Provides analysis and makes recommendations for improvement in audit procedures.
- Assists with implementing improvements in audit procedures.
- Performs audits in accordance with department standards, best practices and procedures, and Institute of Internal Auditors Professional Standards.
- Performs detailed audit procedures and tests, conducting interviews, observing operations, conducting analytical procedures, and reviewing transactions, documents, records, reports, policies and procedures.
- Evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of in-scope internal controls in business processes and other related areas.
- Documents work performed, control deficiencies or improvement opportunities in working papers with relevant, sufficient, and appropriate evidence to support findings.
- Investigates audit findings to analyze risk and identify root causes of control deficiencies.
- Develops recommendations for correction or improvement of control deficiencies that are realistic, creative, workable and meet client business objectives.
- Delivers audit findings verbally and writes timely, concise, and risk-focused audit reports.
- Follows up to determine adequacy of improvements and corrective actions implemented.
- Records the status of audit findings and follow-up in accordance with administrative procedures.
- Provides assistance to external auditors as requested.
- Assists in special projects that may be assigned.
- Develops and maintains a broad internal network throughout the company.
- Assists in the development of presentations pertaining to audit and risk-related issues.
- Minimum 3 years’ of working experience in internal audit or equivalent experience in a related field of business
- Bachelor’s degree and/or accounting designation
- A Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) designation would be considered an asset
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Office Suite (including proficiency in Excel).
- Experience in statistical sampling techniques and extractive audit procedures utilizing advanced software packages such as Audit Command Language (ACL) would be considered an asset
- Experience with audit software applications, such as AuditBoard, and/or demonstrated ability to learn new software applications quickly and effectively
- Working knowledge of internal control and risk management principles, control testing and other audit techniques
- Proven teamwork ability, contributing to a positive and progressive work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work autonomously
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.