Who we are
GREAT ENTERTAINMENT. GREAT PEOPLE. GREAT INVESTMENT. GREAT CANADIAN.
Since our inception in 1982, Great Canadian has grown to be one of the largest and most dynamic gaming and entertainment companies in Canada. With 25 properties across Ontario, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, our facilities include over 16,000 slot machines, 575 table games, 71 dining amenities and over 500 hotel rooms. Working closely alongside our crown agency partners, our team of over 9,500 team members strives to offer the very best gaming, entertainment, dining, and hospitality experiences.
Our Vision declares our purpose as a company and serves as the standard against which we weigh our actions and decisions.
Our Vision is to be the leading gaming, entertainment and hospitality company in our chosen markets by providing superior entertainment value and exceptional experiences.
Our Mission guides every aspect of our business by describing what we need to accomplish to continue achieving sustainable, quality growth.
Our Mission is to provide outstanding experiences to our guests, rewarding opportunities for our team, and superior value to our stakeholders.
About this role
This is an exciting opportunity with a growing casino corporation with operations across Canada. Under the direction of the General Counsel, Chief Privacy Officer and Corporate Secretary, Legal Counsel performs a variety of legal activities to protect the organization’s reputation and business interests and ensures that the organization complies with all relevant laws and regulations. Provides effective advice, guidance and direction in legal matters to team members, and ensures a positive and professional work experience for all. Sound corporate commercial background, with focus on Digital/i-Gaming, Corporate Governance, Privacy and Anti-Money Laundering.
What you’ll get to do
- Supporting and stewarding a sound legal environment across all properties
- Providing legal expertise and effective leadership for all sites
- Oversight and guidance provided to Contract and Compliance Managers
- Analyzing and interpreting case law, court reports and proposed and existing laws and regulations to prepare technical reports on how they impact the organization's operations
- Preparing and reviewing legal contracts, and other documents related to a variety of trade, commercial, financial and operational matters
- Preparing materials for and work with the General Counsel, Chief Privacy Officer and Corporate Secretary, and external counsel, when applicable
- Ensuring compliance with all gaming partnership agreements (legal reporting and other)
- Maintaining sound up-to-date understanding and knowledge of the gaming business, compliance, privacy, and legal issues and practices, as well as the technology required to effectively fulfill responsibilities
- Ensuring compliance with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations in Canada
What you’ll need to be successful
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent
- Called to the Ontario Bar and licensed with the Ontario Law Society and/or BC Law Society
- Minimum 3 years of post-university experience
- Business degree preferred or suitable combination of post-secondary education and experience
- Ability to exceed internal and external customer expectations through timely, effective and service oriented communication
- Advanced computer proficiency in MS Office suite
- A curious analytical mind, strong attention to detail and quick learner
Licensing and Certification Requirements
Permanent employment is dependent upon the authorization and continued approval of any registrations required by our provincial regulators.
What's in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to delight your clients
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top organizations around the world
- Remote and Flexible work arrangements
- Freedom to Innovate: supports new and better ways to be successful
- Be your Authentic Self: environment that values diversity as a source of strength
- Variable Pay Program: performance-based incentives to share in our success
- This isn't your typical "corporate" job. We work hard and we have fun!
The only thing we don’t play games with…..is your career!
Great Canadian Gaming is committed to promoting an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to employing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities and members in which we live and serve.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in Great Canadian Gaming!