Hastings Racecourse has been capturing the imagination of Vancouverites and visitors alike since 1889. Each April through October, we are Vancouver’s exclusive source for live thoroughbred horseracing. This year, 600,000 guests of Hastings will wager on over 40,000 live and year-round national and international simulcast races combined. In addition, we offer over 600 of the newest slot machines on our Casino Floor - complete with a spectacular entertainment lounge – as well as food and beverage options ranging from casual to fine dining.
A Vancouver landmark, Hastings offers spectacular views of the North Shore Mountains and Burrard Inlet, and located only 4 km from downtown Vancouver, B.C., we are conveniently accessible by car or public transit. Hastings opens its doors at 10:00am everyday and closes at 2:00am Sunday thru Thursday and 4:00am Fridays and Saturdays. A truly unique entertainment destination, Hastings offers an equally unique employment experience for our staff. A member of the Great Canadian group of companies, Hastings Racecourse offers both seasonal and year-round positions in a fast paced, high energy environment.
Get your career racing with Hastings Racecourse today and find out why we’re “Bred for Excitement” since 1889.
Hastings Racecourse is currently seeking qualified individuals for the position of Barn Area Security at the horsesmens gate entrance in our Security department. This is a hourly seasonal position, and the selected applicant must be available to work all shifts, including weekends, holidays, and graveyard shifts.
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of Securty Management, this position is responsible for:
- Control access to the barn area
- Patrol the barn area, maintaining security and safety (this includes, but is not limited to, identifying fire and other safety hazards as well as following/performing appropriate emergency procedures)
- Investigate, report and intervene, as necessary, re illegal or prohibited activity
- Provide assistance to staff, horsemen and visitors
- Submit required reports
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Minimum Grade 12 Education or equivalent
- Previous experience or training in security an asset
- Completion of BST certification
- Physical ability to perform security-related duties such as running, walking for prolonged periods, maintaining alertness & visual acuity during day & night shifts, etc.
- Ability to work in close proximity to horses
- Excellent communication, inter-personal & customer service skills, including good oral & written English, the ability to maintain confidentiality & the capability of enforcing regulations tactfully
- Strong investigative skills; discretion; Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Knowledge re the horse-racing industry an asset
- Ability to work effectively without direct supervision; honesty
- Must be willing to undergo a criminal record and credit check by the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch - Racing
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible with work schedule
- Exceptional organizational, problem solving and conflict resolution capabilities
- Must have Serving it Right certification
- A passion for providing Great Experiences and Memories to our internal and external guests in the continual quest of achieving service excellence
How to apply: Qualified candidates are welcome to click on the APPLY ONLINE NOW button and take a moment to register with our career centre. Great Canadian thanks all candidates that apply for this position. If your application is shortlisted for the position, one of our professional recruiters will be in touch.