Hastings Racecourse has been capturing the imagination of Vancouverites and visitors alike since 1889. Each April through October, we are Vancouver’s exclusive source for live thoroughbred horseracing. This year, 600,000 guests of Hastings will wager on over 40,000 live and year-round national and international simulcast races combined. In addition, we offer over 600 of the newest slot machines on our Casino Floor - complete with a spectacular entertainment lounge – as well as food and beverage options ranging from casual to fine dining.
A Vancouver landmark, Hastings offers spectacular views of the North Shore Mountains and Burrard Inlet, and located only 4 km from downtown Vancouver, B.C., we are conveniently accessible by car or public transit. Hastings opens its doors at 9:00am every day and closes at 2:00am Sunday thru Thursday and 4:00am Fridays and Saturdays. A truly unique entertainment destination, Hastings offers an equally unique employment experience for our staff. A member of the Great Canadian group of companies, Hastings Racecourse offers both seasonal and year-round positions in a fast paced, high energy environment.
Get your career racing with Hastings Racecourse today and find out why we’re “Bred for Excitement” since 1889.
Do you thrive in building relationships with the public? Ensuring that special events are organized “to a T”? Creating the most memorable occasion for our guests? Our Manager, Corporate Sales & Catering position may be the right fit for you. You will be responsible for reaching out and making corporate connections, building on those connections, and securing new and repeat business for Hastings Racecourse’s variety of food and beverage venues. Whether it is selling box seats in the Grandstand, organizing a milestone birthday in Silks Restaurant, or preparing for an exclusive bachelorette party in the Skybox; this position is perfect for an individual who is passionate about entertainment and hospitality - set in a fun and exciting backdrop of horseracing and gaming.
This important role is responsible for the following responsibilities in support of the company’s vision and goals:
- Making connections with local businesses for corporate sponsorships, event sales and catering
- Responding to inquiries regarding venue rentals, food and beverage options, available amenities and our special event calendar
- Meeting with clients and arranging venue tours, up-selling venue services, negotiating rates based on needs and ensuring contracts and insurance policies are completed and collected in a timely fashion
- Ensuring all rental and catering agreements are executed as directed
- Managing a staff of up to 10 team members which includes scheduling, coaching and managing work performance
- Following up with clients before, during and after the event to meet and exceed their expectations
- Developing and executing a business plan and sales strategy that ensures attainment of sales goals
- Initiating and developing an action plan to penetrate new markets
- Controlling expenses to meet budget guidelines
- Forecasting monthly business
- Prospecting new clients during the on and off season
- Developing with the Manager, Food & Beverage and Chef de Cuisine on innovative group menus
- Keeping the communication lines open with other departments and managers to ensure that needsand requirements are covered
- Liaising with Casino Management to implement cross-promotional opportunities where appropriate
- Coordinating with the Marketing Department to develop promotional materials
- Responding to and/or resolving escalating issues
- Performing other duties as assigned or directed, including assisting with other operations based tasks in the off-season
- Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Legendary guest service skills with a “Make it Happen” attitude
- A passion for providing Great Experiences and Memories to our internal and external guests in the quest of achieving service excellence
- Live Great Canadian’s Values all day, every day
- Post Secondary education in hospitality, or suitable combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 1 year supervisory/management experience
- Minimum of 2 years sales experience preferably in the entertainment, hospitality, or food & beverage industry
- Must be interested in being hands-on and being available to take on any task necessary to get the job done
- Ability to successfully obtain a Serving It Right certificate
- Excellent MS Office skills, experience in MICROS and Tripleseat an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skill and exceptional organizational skills
- The ability to successfully complete a Criminal Record Check through the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch (GPEB)
- Must be available to work on all live race days including evenings, weekends and holidays
How to apply: Qualified candidates are welcome to click on the APPLY ONLINE NOW button and take a moment to register with our career centre. Great Canadian thanks all candidates that apply for this position. If your application is shortlisted for the position, one of our professional recruiters will be in touch.