Hastings Racecourse has been capturing the imagination of Vancouverites and visitors alike since 1889. Each April through October, we are Vancouver’s exclusive source for live thoroughbred horseracing. This year, 600,000 guests of Hastings will wager on over 40,000 live and year-round national and international simulcast races combined. In addition, we offer over 600 of the newest slot machines on our Casino Floor - complete with a spectacular entertainment lounge – as well as food and beverage options ranging from casual to fine dining.
A Vancouver landmark, Hastings offers spectacular views of the North Shore Mountains and Burrard Inlet, and located only 4 km from downtown Vancouver, B.C., we are conveniently accessible by car or public transit. Hastings opens its doors at 10:00am everyday and closes at 2:00am Sunday thru Thursday and 4:00am Fridays and Saturdays. A truly unique entertainment destination, Hastings offers an equally unique employment experience for our staff. A member of the Great Canadian group of companies, Hastings Racecourse offers both seasonal and year-round positions in a fast paced, high energy environment.
Get your career racing with Hastings Racecourse today and find out why we’re “Bred for Excitement” since 1889.
Hastings Racecourse has an currently seeking qualified individual for the position of Maintenance to join our Track Department, under the supervision of the Track Superintendent. This is a seasonal, hourly position begisn mid-January through to the end of Live Racing, generally 5 days a week.
Position Summary: Other responsibilites include:
- General maintenance/clean-up in & around plant (can include but is not limited to: sweeping, leaf/garbage blowing, garbage removal, replacement of garbage bags, etc., wet mopping, vacuuming, fire hosing, window cleaning, dusting)
- Drive water truck and/or tractors on racetrack as directed
- Perform basic maintenance & repairs and change components on truck/tractors as required
- Handle injured or dead horses, maneuvering them as required, into horse ambulance
- Perform barn/track-area related repairs, maintenance and clean-up as required (this can include, but is not limited to: stall repairs, drain-cleaning, painting, rock-picking)e
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Minimum Grade 12 Education or equivalent
- Proven ability to drive and maneuver heavy trucks (eg: 5,000 gal. Tank truck) & tractors safely (lapsed or current “Class I with Air” ticket preferred)
- Proven ability to perform vehicular maintenance/repairs to required level (formal training in vehicular mechanics preferred)
- Forklift experience an asset
- Experience & general knowledge/ability re “handyman” duties such as basic carpentry & painting (plumbing and/or mechanical skills an asset)
- Proven ability to handle & work in close proximity to horses
- Physical ability/willingness to do heavy work, work at required heights, in all weather types
- Knowledge of racetrack surfaces an asset
- Knowledge of WHMIS an asset
- Ability to work effectively without direct supervision; adaptability
- Good inter-personal skills
- Must successfully pass a criminal and credit record check by the Gaming and Policy Enforcement Branch (GPEB) - Racing
- A passion for providing Great Experiences and Memories to our internal and external guests in the continual quest of achieving service excellence
How to apply: Qualified candidates are welcome to click on the APPLY ONLINE NOW button and take a moment to register with our career centre. Great Canadian thanks all candidates that apply for this position. If your application is shortlisted for the position, one of our professional recruiters will be in touch.