When you join Casino Nova Scotia, you are joining a team that is proud of our people, our business and our community.
As leaders in the hospitality and entertainment industry, we credit our success to you. It’s your creativity; playfulness and enthusiasm that create memorable experiences for our guests.
We are proud to offer the thrill of gaming with over 750 ways to play, the best in live entertainment and premier dining options. Our unique waterfront destination offers superior banquet and catering services for every event; from grand-scale weddings to intimate gatherings. As a community-minded employer, we are also proud to support non-profit organizations and charities in our community.
We offer competitive wages, advancement opportunities, recognition programs and exciting social activities. From ice-cream days, to barbeques, to VIP events, it’s easy to have fun at Casino Nova Scotia, Halifax!
So come on down, show us your energy and let the fun begin!
The Sous Chef assists with the management of the food outlet kitchens with GEM flair and FiSH! panache! S/he oversees food preparation, ensures adherence to all policies and procedures, maintains food and labour costs, motivates and leads by example and provides a learning environment all while maintaining a safe and welcoming work environment. Above all else, the Sous Chef is aligned with and embraces Casino Nova Scotia’s culture and philosophy of providing outstanding entertainment experiences.
- Provides leadership, direction and mentoring to the culinary operation
- Schedules and supervises culinary employees; assigns shift work assignments
- Directs and trains employees to prepare, pre-cook, cook and present menu items in a timely fashion, following standardized recipes
- Prepares, pre-cooks, cooks and presents menu items; assists on the floor as required
- Maintains budgeted labour and food costs as directed
- Submits food product requirements for approval; may order food and non-food product through regional buying programs
- Assists in the development of new food items, standardized procedures and par inventory levels
- Reviews monthly inventory reports; analyzes discrepancies and takes appropriate action; conducts inventory counts
- Develops performance objectives, delivers performance evaluations for direct reports and actively participates in the recruitment and hiring process
- Finds ways to play; you are serious about work, without being serious
- Chooses to make everyday a great day
- Stays focused in order to be there
- Delivers an exceptional entertainment experience to internal and external guests to ensure you make their day
- High School Diploma; Post-Secondary education in culinary management or suitable combination of education and experience an asset
- Red Seal certification through ITA or current enrollment in the program
- FoodSafe Level 2, Safe Food Handling or BASICS.fst Food Handler Certificate; MSDS; WHMIS
- Excellent guest service skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Computer literacy in MS Office
- Minimum 3 years of culinary management experience