Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a 311 Contact Centre Services Representative (Part-Time) within our 311 Toronto Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- Answers inquiries and complaints received on all 311 access channels (including but not limited to; telephone, email, in person)
- Explains policies and procedures to the public, refers calls to proper authorities when necessary, initiates service requests and records related information
- Uses specialized knowledge in multiple functional areas to carry out duties in a timely, efficient and accurate manner
- Conducts research and analysis to develop service options for interested parties
- Provides effective verbal and written communications to all inquiries and requests for City services
- Utilizes customer service skills to effectively respond to inquiries and service requests
- Uses knowledge of City operations to guide customers and advocate on their behalf
- Liaises with internal divisions, Emergency Services, and contracted service providers.
- Enters, retrieves and interprets data in customer relationship management and/or work management system databases
- Refers escalated issues to the supervisor and/or manager when applicable
- Interprets and provides information on compliance requirements for applicable legislation, by-laws, policies and procedures
- Utilizes delegated authority to make decisions and critical recommendations (e g. approve eligibility for licensing)
- Performs general clerical duties as required
- Redirects calls as necessary and may perform message taking function
- Keeps informed on activities of the City
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience working in a high volume call/contact centre environment, preferably receiving inbound calls.
- Considerable experience providing customer service utilizing various mediums including but not limited to, phone, email and social media channels such as Twitter.
- Considerable experience analyzing, recording and reporting data.
- Considerable experience with data entry and maintaining large multi-screen databases and managing large volumes of information.
- Experience conducting research, extracting and interpreting information from various databases and software applications, including Internet search engines, MS Word and Excel.
You Must Also Have:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem-solve with minimal direction.
- Ability to deal with difficult clients, de-escalate and diffuse challenging situations and successfully resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, tact and diplomacy when dealing with members of the public, media, and elected officials.
- Excellent multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail and the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent keyboarding and proof reading skills with emphasis on accuracy.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to interpret and provide compliance information on legislation as it relates to specific program areas.
- Knowledge of contact centre principles and practices.
- Must be available to work varied shifts including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory/religious holidays.
- Must be available to work overtime when required.
311 Toronto provides service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
This is a part time position. Please note that part time hours can range from 3-30 hours per week, Monday through to Sunday.
Available shifts could fall within the following times, Monday to Sunday:
Day - 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Afternoon - 3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Overnight - 11:00 p.m. – 7: 00 a.m.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Communication: Please note that we communicate to applicants via email. Therefore, please ensure that your email address is up to date in your TalentFlow account, and that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2301428 and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.