On-Going Opportunities Description
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Industrial Millwright within our Toronto Water Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- Accountable for personal performance and promoting optimum team performance in achieving work area process objectives in Toronto Water. Assumes responsibility for the maintenance of related equipment in the applicable water or wastewater work area and provides technical and operational expertise as required
- Performs skilled trade work and is responsible for mechanical overhauling, installation and maintenance of all process equipment in an advanced Water or Wastewater Facility environment
- Trains, directs, assists and supports skilled, semi-skilled, unskilled staff and trainees as required
- Takes a leadership role and is accountable for individual and team performance in achieving work area objectives. Fosters and supports a team environment
- Inspects, tests, records, monitors, and performs analysis, evaluation, selection, integration, installation and maintenance on mechanical control devices and systems used in major Water/Wastewater facilities and ensures compliance to all regulatory requirements and procedures
- Performs basic and routine maintenance on electrical equipment up to 600 volt
- May be required to perform skilled machining work using lathe, milling machine, shaper, drill press and other machine tools
- Assists in the maintenance and cleaning of work areas
- Utilizes process operations, sampling and laboratory analysis results to interpret equipment performance. Performs laboratory tests, checks and calibration as required
- Must utilize a number of different computerized software systems, such as a Work Management System (WMS), a Process Control System (PCS) involving a SCADA based system as well as a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), a Performance and Operations Management System (POMS) and Statistical Process Control (SPC), and other related technology
- Makes timely operational decisions and addresses/responds to alarm conditions and emergencies under the direction of the Operator In Charge (OIC) to ensure operational sustainability and efficiency within established performance and quality limits
- Provides updates and maintains the required documentation of all work area mechanical maintenance activities
- Initiates material purchase orders, issues materials documents, receives materials, maintains inventories and records and follows up on maintenance quality
- Performs all work assignments safely in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Regulations that apply to this work and other related legislation
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a current Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Mechanic Millwright in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario. (Ontario Regulation 43 Apprenticeship and Trade worker's Qualification Act).
- Must have a Grade 12 diploma, or equivalent as recognized by the Ministry of Environment (MOE).
- Must obtain through examination by the Ontario Water Wastewater Certificate Office (OWWCO) a valid Class 1 Operators License in the appropriate discipline (Water Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, Water Distribution or Wastewater Collection) as per the applicable legislation within 90 days from their employment start date.
- Must be eligible to obtain a Basic Chlorinating Workshop Certificate issued by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment or a recognized equivalent as determined by work location.
- Must be eligible to obtain a Gas Technician Certification (Industrial Maintenance Technician IMT certification) as determined by work location.
- Extensive experience in the hand fitting of machine parts to very fine tolerances using a variety of tools and equipment used in general shop practices.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in equipment rigging using a variety of methods and equipment.
- Knowledge of and experience in the troubleshooting, testing, installation and repair of hydraulic, electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic systems, pumps, etc.
You must also have:
- Thorough understanding of the principals, standard methods, technology, materials and tools used in the Millwright trade.
- Basic knowledge of electricity as applied to valves, motor current use, motor magnetic centre, lockout and grounding etc.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental legislation and the policies, procedures and regulations that apply to this work.
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret and prepare layouts, diagrams, schematics and manuals.
- Experience in electric arc and oxyacetylene cutting and welding, brazing, soldering and heat treatment of metals.
- Knowledge of the processes, procedures and equipment used in the relevant advanced wastewater or water treatment operations/distribution & collection systems.
- A thorough knowledge, experience and ability to work in an environment using hazardous chemicals associated with the water/wastewater treatment processes.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills such as coaching, initiative, conflict resolution, problem solving, teamwork effectiveness and an ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills and interest in continuous learning and improvement.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of computers including operation of various software programs, ability to make necessary calculations and interpret data.
- Knowledge of sampling techniques and laboratory procedures with the ability to interpret and recommend process adjustments if required.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and qualify to obtain and maintain the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Must be able to work from heights on ladders, scaffold, stairs and roof tops.
- Must be able to work in all confined spaces.
- Must be eligible to obtain a forklift operator's certificate, as determined by work location.
- Must be eligible to obtain a back flow prevention certificate, as determined by work location.
- Must be available to work rotating shifts/weekend/overtime/on call duty.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
Internal Posting Details