Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Arborist 3 within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- Performs work involved in the care and culture of trees
- Plants/transplants trees by both mechanical and hand methods
- Prunes and removes trees (not required to work at heights)
- Assists those working at heights in the handling of ropes or acting as a spotter, including work performed in proximity to energized conductors
- Drives/operates/inspects and ensures proper maintenance of various equipment including dump truck, aerial tower (from base), 8 ton crane, chipper, sprayer, stumper, tractor/loader, backhoe, chain saw, motorized pole saw and other associated equipment and hand tools
- Handles/loads/chips brush and wood
- Performs tree pit/container maintenance
- Must update skills as required to meet trade standards and operational requirements
- Performs other related work as assigned
- Experience in all types of arboricultural work including pruning, removal, stumping, planting and fertilizing.
- Knowledge and experience in the care and safe operation of chain saws, brush chippers, 8 ton cranes, stumping machines and aerial towers.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "D" Driver's License with "Z" endorsement and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain an E.U.S.A. certificate for Safety in Line Clearing operations or equivalent.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain Standard First Aid and CPR certification
You must also have:
- Must be available to work shifts/weekends/overtime/on call duty.
- Must update skills as required from time to time to meet trade standards and operational requirements.
- Must have a working understanding of tree morphology, physiology and dendrology of those tree species common to the Toronto area.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, Arborist Safe Work Practices, and other applicable legislation and industry standards that apply to this work.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.