Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as General Handyworker 2 within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- Performs various semi-skilled tasks in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment, construction and in general building and grounds maintenance (irrigation systems, plumbing, splash pads, water services, dry wall, ceramic tiles, concrete, timber, rubber flooring and masonry)
- Assists various Trade workers/Leadhands and others in their work.
- Performs general construction, maintenance and repairs such as building repairs, setting up equipment, form and brick work, asphalt, concrete, plant materials, repair of furniture, equipment, etc.
- Performs general groundskeeping duties such as landscaping, grass cutting, snow removal, laying of sod, installation of precast and timber retaining walls, plant material, parks furnishings, flooring materials, etc.
- Drives vehicles to designated areas and operates various mechanical equipment as assigned (e.g. tractor/loader, trencher, fork lift, rototiller etc.)
- Performs inspections and makes adjustments and repairs to equipment.
- Performs a variety of work not requiring the services of a licensed trade.
- May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff.
- Performs other related work, as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in general mechanical maintenance and repairs with a practical knowledge of landscaping, building and equipment, maintenance and construction work.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “D” Driver's License with “Z” endorsement and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- Ability to properly and safely handle and operate all power and hand tools required to perform building and landscape maintenance and construction.
- Ability to accurately follow verbal and written instructions and sketches, read plans, and estimate quantities.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to provide work direction to other employees and communicate clearly.
- Must be skilled in the use of a wide range of tools.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.