On-Going Opportunities Description
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
Reporting to the Manager, Plan Review, the Zoning Examiner will examine and approve plans submitted for approval for compliance with the applicable Zoning By-Laws and other By-Laws and regulations of the City and other applicable laws for the purposes of issuing building permits.
- Examines, corrects, signs and approves plans and specifications submitted for compliance with the City Zoning By-Laws, related by-laws and regulations, municipal code and other applicable law for all types of buildings and structures within the timeframes specified in the legislation
- Reviews proposals made under the Certificate of Zoning Compliance and Applicable Law program resulting in the issuance of Certificate of Zoning and Applicable Law compliance
- Conducts preliminary plan examination for applications made under the Preliminary Project Review program. Issues notices of non-compliance for zoning and other related Municipal clearances
- Performs mathematical calculations to evaluate land use restrictions such as lot size, density, landscaping, height, setbacks and angular plan, loading and parking requirements
- Notifies owner and/or applicant in writing and/or telephone of status of plan review
- Calculates applicable charges related to building permit applications
- Conducts preliminary plan examinations and advises applicants of required changes, and informs them of Divisional procedure, in order to facilitate the plan review process
- Provides information to Facilities and Real Estate Division for Park Levy determination
- Advises City Staff (building, planning, transportation divisions) regarding procedures and requirements for all permits
- Responds to general inquiries over the phone and/or in person related to City Zoning By-Law and related bylaws
- Liaises with applicants, owners, other divisions, agencies and levels of government
- Meets with City staff to discuss and provide written comments on proposed zoning by-laws and site plans for site plan approval
- Determines which other divisions or agencies are involved in approving applications and forwards plans and obtains their approval
- Reviews specifications and provides written comments on proposed uses to Municipal Licensing and Standard Division, and LLBO; and processes permitted use letters
- Appears and gives evidence in court or the Ontario Municipal Board
- Views documents on file with the Committee of Adjustment to confirm that drawings submitted for permit application are substantially in accordance with those on file with Committee of Adjustment. Checks transcripts when variances are missed to determine, among other things, if there was opposition to the proposal.
- Amends updates and cross references zoning and related by-law texts and maps and maintains records of OMB and City Clerk approval of by-laws
- Performs site inspections to confirm zoning uses, existing parking facilities, etc.
- Provides written comments to Council, Management and other City staff on policies and interpretation of By-laws and regulations
- Prepares examiners' notices and documents examination details. Inputs and updates divisional data base
- Represents the division at various committees and meetings
- Trains and mentors staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience as a zoning plans examiner or equivalent applying the City's Zoning By-Laws.
- Experience reading and interpreting surveys and architectural drawings.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as architectural technology, science of building design, civil engineering technology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
You must also have:
- Ability to read and interpret by-laws, agreements, regulations and other documentation.
- Ability to make complex calculations for various fees and charges, and Zoning By-Law compliance.
- Good knowledge of the City's Zoning By-Laws and planning principles.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and within a team environment.
- Good verbal and written skills.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address for this posted position will receive all written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address they have provided on their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City of Toronto's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.