On-Going Opportunities Description
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Provides input into the development of program policies and ensures implementation of policies and procedures in the dental clinic
- Performs the duties of a team leader in a clinical setting, which includes ensuring effective teamwork and efficient flow of patients
- Obtains complete medical history and verifies and applies medical history prior to treatment by consulting with family members and physicians when necessary. Refers clients for medical testing if warranted
- Performs complete oral examinations, formulates comprehensive treatment plans, informs patients and families of treatment plans and obtains consent for treatment
- Performs a broad range of basic dental treatment, i.e. fillings, dentures, extractions, root canals on selected teeth, stainless steel crowns, acid etch procedures, prefabricated post and/or pin core build up. Responsible for the fabrication of dental prosthetic appliances, etc.
- May perform dental services for patients with disabilities or behavioural problems
- Performs emergency dental procedures
- Prescribes antibiotics and administers local anaesthetic
- Operates dental x-ray machine and interprets x-rays
- Monitors and performs universal precaution procedures for infection control in the dental office
- Educates the public on oral health and the Toronto Public Health dental program policies and guidelines
- Resolves conflict with staff, clients and members of the public when necessary
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of and provides treatment under correct programs, i.e. CINOT (Children in Need of Treatment), OW (Ontario Works), HBP (Healthiest Babies Possible) the Interim Federal Health Ontario Disability Services Program and the Toronto Public Health dental treatment program (paediatric, geriatric, high school)
- Refers patients or the general public to appropriate dental practices such as the University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry, the Hospital for Sick Children, dental hygiene colleges, dental specialists and low cost dental clinics
- Receives referrals from private dental and medical practitioners
- Mentors dental students from universities and colleges
- Ensures that the clinic is properly equipped and maintained, and meets safety requirements for staff and patients
- Ensures medical emergency kits and oxygen are available and in a state of readiness, and that staff is prepared to implement life saving procedures as necessary (i.e. administer emergency medication, provide oxygen, perform CPR)
- Ensures proper x-ray quality assurance and safety and the proper disposal of biohazardous waste
- Provides liaison between the Public Health Dental Unit, school staff (principals and teachers) and parents of patients regarding policies and goals of treatment (i.e. letters from both the department and individual schools)
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate Degree in Dentistry from a recognized university and have, or be eligible for a license from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- Extensive experience working in a dental office.
- Experience in the field of removable prosthetics and paediatric dentistry.
- Knowledge of Public Health dental programs.
- Ability to work cooperatively, being innovative with staff, clients and parents in a community clinic.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and commitment to the Toronto Public Service; work effectively with various and diverse stakeholders, i.e. children, parents and adults.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate innovation amongst diverse stakeholders, staff and build a solid team environment.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Post graduate training or experience in a Public Health environment would be an asset.
- Ability to speak a second language would be desirable, please indicate language skills on resume (Chinese (Mandarin), Tamil, Hindi, Urdu, Korean, Russian or Spanish languages are assets).
- A valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License is an asset.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.