Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and cultures. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Irrigation Technician within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- Installs, maintains and keeps in good repair parks plumbing systems, e.g. irrigation, splash pads, wading pools, drinking fountains and ornamental fountains
- Maintains and administers central or stand alone computer control irrigation system and associated components
- Performs semi-skilled carpentry, fencing, painting and concrete work and other general construction activities
- Performs semi-skilled activities for parks plumbing systems and facility plumbing
- Operates a variety of power tools and equipment and operates City vehicles
- Prepares sketches and specifications and maintains accurate records/inventory of park plumbing assets and various related records, requisitions materials, completes written report updates
- May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff to ensure that work location, equipment and supplies meet Health & Safety standards and duties are carried out in a safe and responsible manner
- Checks Contractor installations are completed, ensuring contract compliance
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to obtain and maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a backflow tester program certificate.
- Experience related to plumbing systems (e.g. irrigation, splash pads, wading pools, drinking fountains and ornamental fountains) systems installation, maintenance, and repairs including electrical systems, pumps and controller components and experience in semi-skilled plumbing and fitting.
- Experience in confined spaces and odorous areas and ability to obtain and maintain a certificate of training in confined spaces.
You must also have:
- Ability to read plans and make rough sketches for plumbing layouts.
- Ability to operate and input information into computer (e.g. Computer Central Control system).
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Ability to obtain a valid Province of Ontario "D" Driver's License with "Z" endorsement.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.