Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Parks Handyworker 2 within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
- Performs semi-skilled tasks required for the maintenance and operation of City parks, park buildings, outdoor rinks and properties
- Operates and performs routine maintenance and minor repairs to various types of motor vehicles, tractors, mechanized grounds maintenance, and grass cutting equipment
- Performs tasks required for the safe and proper operation and maintenance of City parks and amenities including landscaping; installation and maintenance of horticultural areas; snow removal; turf maintenance including grass cutting and trimming, sodding, seeding, topdressing and aeration; litter, garbage and recycling pickup; preventive maintenance and minor repairs to park amenities and infrastructure
- Operates ice resurfacing equipment and cleans and maintains ice surfaces. Inspects ice making equipment, takes readings, maintains records and log books
- Prepares for all types of permits, programs, public functions and sports activities, including set up and take down of equipment and furnishings, and lay out and lining of sport fields
- Drives vehicles and transports crews to designated area
- Provides work direction to other staff, and carries out duties that meet Health & Safety standards in a safe and responsible manner
- Communicates and ensures good customer service to community groups, members of the public and other staff
- Completes daily forms and checklists as required relating to Parks building use, completed tasks, problems, and complaints
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your resume must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience in performing work related to general parks grounds and parks building maintenance and repairs.
- Considerable experience in performing work related to turf and sports field maintenance.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License, and be qualified to obtain City equipment operating permits and requirements. In addition this position may be required to possess a valid Province of Ontario Class "DZ" Driver's Licence and be qualified to obtain City equipment permits.
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- Ability to use hand tools, mechanical equipment and make minor mechanical repairs and adjustments associated with parks buildings and parks maintenance.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform landscaping and construction duties.
- Knowledge of proper cleaning and parks maintenance techniques and the ability to perform day-today duties in parks and parks buildings.
- Knowledge of the handling of materials related to the duties of this position.
- Knowledgeable in the safe and efficient operation and routine maintenance of all vehicles, equipment and specialized attachments related to the position.
- Ability to accurately follow verbal and written instructions and sketches.
- Ability to give direction and provide training to staff as may be required, and ensure that work is carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime as required.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.