Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Greenskeeper within our Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
- Operates all equipment related to golf course maintenance in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operates diesel and gasoline powered equipment including, farm tractors, greens mowers, both riding and walking, triplex units, mechanical sand rakes, fairway mowers, large rotary mowers, aerifiers, topdressers, utility vehicles, mechanical sprayers, verticut units, power rollers, walking sod cutter, overseeder.
- Sets up and operates semi-automatic and automatic irrigation systems, and performs basic repairs as required.
- Performs routine golf course maintenance such as changing holes and tee blocks, repairing divots and ball marks, services ball washers and litter containers, and maintenance of flower and shrub beds.
- Cleans and maintains upkeep of fieldhouse and washroom facilities; performs routine inspections.
- Makes necessary reports and interacts with the public to ensure the safe and orderly use of golf courses and provides good public relations.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience working horticulture or in a golf course setting.
- Considerable experience in the operation of grass cutting equipment and small power tools.
- Experience in the repair and maintenance automated irrigation systems with tools specific to the requirements of the golf course operation.
- Experience in the operation of hydraulic equipment with manual or automatic transmissions.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver's License Class "G" and eligibility to receive a City Operator's Permit.
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- The ability to set up and operate semi-automatic and automatic irrigation systems.
- Ability to assist in the repairs of equipment and to aid in the maintenance of said equipment.
- Ability to take direction and work with minimal supervision; work well with co-workers, and members of the public.
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS, and other regulations that apply to the nature of the Greenskeeper work.
- Must be able to work a 7 day week operation schedule with flexible starting times.
- Knowledge of golf course operations is considered an asset.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.