Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Weighscale Operator within our Solid Waste Management Services Division.
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months.
Reporting to the General Supervisor, the primary functions associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Operates computerized weighscales (with related equipment) to gather data, issue tickets, charge/collect fees to/from vehicles, delivering or transferring solid waste/recycling materials
- Ensures all vehicles comply with site regulations
- Ensures proper validation of loads through Radiation Detection equipment and reports incidents to site management
- Establishes identity of customer, gathers and enters information (i.e. material type, source/destination, gross/tare weights, payment type etc.), applicable to load
- Verifies receipt information, validates deposit amount, identifies and processes payment type, which may include processing of debit/credit card payments, reconciles point-of-sale terminals, generates daily scale reports, reconciles point-of sale batch reports and prepares bank deposit slips for pickup
- Responds to in-person and telephone enquiries, e.g. operating procedures, regulations, fees etc.
- Obtains signatures on printed/manual receipts from drivers and/or cardholders and issues paperwork for border crossing
- Totals, balances and verifies cash/charge intake and total loads with computer data and completes daily activity reports and financial summary
- Validates the authenticity of letters of hospital waste, and clearly marks the Dump Authorization Ticket
- Opens and closes scale-house and sets alarms and cleans weighscale equipment as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Highly developed Customer Service skills.
- Adaptability to high pressure situations.
- Experience related to handling cash, debit and credit card transactions.
- Must be able to work shifts, including afternoon, midnights and weekends and may be required to work alone or in a team environment.
- Must have experience working with a computer.
You must also have:
- Ability to sit and operate a computerized weighscale system for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate computerized weighscale, radiation detection devices and radio frequency identification system.
- Strong administrative, financial and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with staff, public and private sector customers.
- Ability to maintain a high level of service to public and private sector customers.
- Ability to prioritize and work under time constraints in high pressure situations.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.