Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Mate within our Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division.
- Although there may not be current vacancies, your resume will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must re-apply after six (6) months
- Directs crew, instructs and checks work performed such as painting, cleaning. Ensures assignment of necessary staff.
- Inspects vessel to ensure standards of maintenance, cleanliness and Transport Canada Maritime Safety and Security are maintained.
- Checks equipment such as navigation equipment, communication equipment, mooring lines, life boats, fire extinguishers and hoses. Notes repairs needed and advises captain.
- Ensures safe loading and disembarking of passengers/vehicles. Ensures orderly conduct of passengers. Answers inquiries. Operates radios and distributes to crew.
- Monitors marine traffic visually and with radar equipment, and advises Captain of any potential or real hazard as per Transport Canada Regulations and good maritime practise.
- Directs crew in casting off and mooring of vessel.
- Logs departure time, number of passengers and any other unusual occurrences.
- Participates in cleaning and maintenance of vessel. Notes any required vessel repairs and maintains record of completed repairs.
- Pilots a vessel, as required, at the Discretion, Command, and Control of the Captain.
- Conducts and oversees vessel drills such as Man Overboard, Fire-fighting, Lifeboat and Rescue Station drills and Maritime Security drills.
- Reports to the Marine Captain.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must be certified as a First Mate's Limited or Master's Limited exceeding 60 Tons. Please attach a photocopy of your certificate to your application.
- Must possess a Radio Operator’s Certificate in the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator category. Please attach a photocopy of your certificate to your application.
- Must possess and be willing to maintain a valid Medical Certificate of fitness and a Marine First Aid Certificate.
You must also have:
- The ability to effectively train and provide work direction to the crew of a vessel.
- Knowledge of the Province of Ontario Health and Safety Legislation and Canadian Maritime Health and Safety Legislation.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation including City policies and procedures, and all applicable Provincial and Federal legislations regarding the operation of a passenger service within Canadian waters.
- Knowledge and experience surrounding the safe loading and disembarking vehicles onboard RO/PAX vessels.
- Good judgment in public and labour relations
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations and labour and human rights as it relates to staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Complete and maintain accurate reports and ships log book.
- Ability to work evenings, week ends and holidays as may be required.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.