Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Deckhand within our Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for 6 months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after 6 months.
Under the supervision of the Captain, the Deckhand is required to perform duties of a varied nature on a vessel which include:
- Handles mooring lines and assists in the mooring of vessels
- Performs general maintenance and related work as assigned on vessels, ramps and docks
- Assists passengers getting on and off the vessel
- Provides information to the public and responds to public enquiries
- May be required to load and unload freight
- May be required to collect tickets from passengers boarding the vessel and counts passengers, when required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience and versatility on marine vessels.
You must also have:
- Preference will be given to candidates in possession of a valid MED Certificate (Marine Emergency Duty Certificate).
- Must be in possession of a valid First Aid/CPR certificate and be willing to obtain and maintain an Advanced Marine First Aide Certificate.
- Ability to handle freight and assist passengers boarding and leaving vessels.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Marine Occupational Safety & Health (MOSH) regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing life saving and emergency duties. A Certificate of Fitness as prescribed by Transport Canada may be required.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.