Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Parks Handyworker 3 within our Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Performs manual tasks in park areas which require some gardening ability
- Operates various types of equipment, mechanized grounds maintenance and grass cutting equipment
- Maintains parks turf by mowing, string trimming, fertilizing, clearing litter and removing garbage, as well as setting up semi-automatic and automatic irrigation systems
- Cleans, maintains and makes minor repairs to park washrooms
- Cleans, maintains and makes minor repairs to parks facilities and furnishings including, playing fields, ice rinks, parks benches, etc.
- Sets up equipment such as chairs, benches and soccer/football posts, etc.
- Clears and maintains parks walkways and entrances, including snow shovelling
- Assists in maintaining horticultural beds and shrubs, as required
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in grounds maintenance and/or horticulture, preferably in a park setting.
- Experience with grounds maintenance and grass cutting equipment.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
You must also have:
- Ability to provide work direction to others.
- Ability to accurately follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and staff.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing all of the required duties and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work shifts/weekends/overtime, as required
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.