If you are a Front-End Web Developer who is looking for challenges to apply the art of programming and design with web mapping, this is an opportunity for you. You will be responsible for providing the optimal user experience with map based web interfaces, as a member of an experienced and multidisciplined team specialised in web and database development, data and information management, and Geographic Information Systems.
Under the direct supervision of a Senior Geospatial Consultant, Geospatial Competency Centre, you will be a work package lead and provide senior technical consulting and analysis, design, development, testing, quality assurance, and project planning and sustainment expertise to deliver and sustain critical enterprise business applications and information in the area of web based information delivery with geospatial and mapping technologies.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and/or apply complex business and application models, information structures, data models, data schemas, technical program code, network and security interfaces, data and application design as governed by architectural frameworks, technology standards, information policies and legislative requirements.
- Apply a strong understanding of IT industry best practices and City priorities over the short and longer term to advise, develop and maintain City infrastructures, methodologies, tools and techniques, and ensures conformance and adherence to daily practice among business and technical teams.
- Participate actively in corporate and cross-divisional initiatives to design, construct and implement business and application infrastructure solutions such as data warehousing, document management and electronic service delivery.
- Analyze and recommend changes to current business practices, business and information processes, data flows, performance measures, information delivery and knowledge utilization toward a more efficiently managed and coherently integrated information environment for all divisions in the City.
- Generate work plans and direct project teams with regard to the execution of software upgrade activities.
- Apply technical expertise to redesign, reconfigure and customize new or existing complex enterprise business applications and information.Lead and advise technical, business and professional services staff on delivery and sustainment of complex, critical enterprise geospatial applications and reports progress to the supervisor, stakeholders and team members.
- Oversee the development and implementation of standardized test plans, test cases and test results documentation for application and system testing.
- Lead the day-to-day work of staff resources by reviewing project schedule and assigning project and sustainment tasks.
- Build consensus amongst divisional business and technical stakeholders who may represent multiple points of view on how to drive corporate-wide solution designs.
- Determine project requirements, analyze and recommend feasible options and designs, builds, tests, and implement enterprise geospatial platform information structures and applications.
- Sustain the geospatial repository to meet critical City-wide and divisional business objectives and provides enterprise geospatial solutions.
- Apply technical expertise to recommend, develop and maintain corporate policies, procedures and standards that are consistent with legislation, to ensure enterprise information and application integrity.
- Apply technical expertise to ensure security, privacy and quality assurance requirements are implemented in a manner that meet or exceed business requirements and is consistent with MFIPPA legislation, thereby ensuring the integrity of complex enterprise information and applications.
- Apply project management expertise to lead and/or provide input to project management and procurement processes, including the evaluation and recommendation of complex technical solutions and professional services.
- Provide direction and assigns work to non-IT staff members, e.g., divisional unit staff (management & bargaining-unit) on project basis.
- Apply technical expertise to develop and/or provide input to procurement and project management documentation, including business cases, RFIs, RFPs, RFQs, Sole Sources, statements of work, service level agreements, project charters, project plans, status reports, issue logs, change orders, resource plans, budgets, migration plans, contingency plans and risk assessments.
- Communicate effectively with various audiences, such as business/project managers, project team members and other levels of government and external parties, through leading and facilitating meetings, and preparing and delivering presentations and reports.
Your application for the role of Corporate Application Technical Leader (Senior Web Developer) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in web markup including HTML5, CSS3, and SASS in creating responsive web pages
- Experience in UI/UX design and development
- Extensive experience with HTTP/HTTPS, REST services, JSON and XML
- Experience with Web Mapping technology and tools, such as ESRI's ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise, Google Maps, Leaflet, OpenLayers.
- Experience with development in WordPress
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science or a related discipline, or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of cross-browser development within a large web application
- Knowledge of SEO and WCAG accessibility standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge of development using Scrum Agile methodologies
- Ability to lead projects or teams, applying methods and standards, developing an operational work schedule, estimating and tracking time and efforts, with proven track records in successfully completing projects according to an established methodology.
- Excellent skills in writing business requirements, designing documentation, business cases, proposals or similar formal documents and statements to various audiences, including stakeholders, clients and the public
- Knowledge of application development methodologies, standards and best practices, and in all stages of the system development life-cycle
- Effective teamwork, facilitation, communications, conflict resolution and problem solving skills, incident management and team leadership in projects, assignments and service engagements
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an aptitude to work independently and collaboratively with others in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Strong customer service orientation and business acumen to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with clients and vendors
- Advanced time management and estimation capabilities and ability to perform several tasks and projects concurrently.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies, and skills to evaluate and recommend new technology for introduction into a complex technical environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours including days, afternoons, nights and weekends, as required.
- Ability to be on call for support of production systems, as required.
- Ability to travel across various office locations within the City of Toronto, as required.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.