Put to work your LAN/WAN/MAN administration experience in a Cisco, Novell and Windows network environment using TCP/IP and Cisco Routing and Switching technologies.
As an Enterprise Technical Support Specialist and integral member of our Networks & Telecommunications Services Unit team, you will perform analysis of enterprise voice and telephony software, hardware and transmission facilities, using diagnostic tools to ensure the optimum operation and maintenance of technology solutions. We will also count on you to ensure that proactive action is taken for the operation, installation and support of the enterprise voice network and solutions.
Your role as an Enterprise Voice Support Specialist will be varied. Specifically, you will:
- Provide assistance and technical support in the planning, assessment, design, construction and implementation of upgrades to the existing voice systems and networks and support enhancements or additions of future enterprise technologies.
- Conduct research and evaluations of enterprise hardware and software solutions and make recommendations.
- Maintain security on all enterprise server hardware, software and network, including set-up, revision and cancellation of securities.
- Monitor enterprise voice networks and solutions, products and network usage, performance and capacity, and perform trend analysis for system improvements.
- Perform enterprise-wide user accounts administration, including addition, deletion and change of user accounts according to approved policy, standards and procedures.
- Respond to user inquiries, investigate and analyze problems, and develop solutions and/or action plans.
- Conduct, update and improve reviews of documentation, manuals, standards and procedures.
Your application for the role of Enterprise Technical Support Specialist must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience planning, designing and implementing voice technology in a highly complex Cisco based infrastructure supporting a large Microsoft Windows and Novell environment.
- Experience in Telecommunications and Voice services and applications with LAN / WAN / MAN administration in a Cisco, Novell, and Windows network environment utilizing TCP/IP and Cisco Routing and Switching technologies.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Telecommunications, Network Engineering, Data Communication or Computer Sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Recognized certification in CCNA, CCNP, CCIE or an approved equivalent.
- Valid Province of Ontario Class G driver's licence.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of voice networks, network operating systems, network devices, network design principles, network analysis and telecommunication principles.
- Knowledge of various network-related technologies, including QoS, Multicasting, VPN, 802.1q, QinQ, Ether-channel and other trunking technologies.
- Knowledge in Network Management, specifically with enterprise technical support issues in the Wide Area Network, Metro Area Network and Local Area Network level, including installation, problem determination and resolution.
- Knowledge of Cisco hardware, including 650x, 720x, 280x, 380x, 296x, 3560, 3750 and virtual switching.
- Good overall understanding of OSPF, EIGRP,BGP, MP-BGP, and MPLS/VPLS.
- Knowledge of Cisco unified wireless technologies, including Cisco wireless controllers and point-to-point wireless bridges.
- Strong ability to troubleshoot enterprise class network performance issues in the LAN, MAN and WAN technologies.
- Knowledge of security, including Cisco ASA appliances and Cisco Network Access Control (NAC)
- Good overall understanding of structured network cabling standards and design.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong skills in developing, maintaining and testing disaster recovery plans.
- Commitment to customer service, performance quality and continuous improvement.
- Interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to provide troubleshooting support, prepare technical documentation, report on problems and deal effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team as well as independently, as required.
- Ability to work days, afternoons and nights, including weekends, and other shifts, as required.
- Ability to travel within the City of Toronto, and access to a reliable vehicle.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.