Your experience in troubleshooting and supporting an enterprise network in a highly complex Microsoft Windows, UNIX and Novell environment has prepared you for this temporary, full-time position.
As a Technician Network Support (Enterprise Network Analyst), you will oversee LAN and WAN switches, routers, wireless, security devices and structured cabling to ensure that all Network connected equipment is fully operational. This role on our Network Services team involves working with business unit and divisional staff and vendors, to maintain the effectiveness, availability, reliability and security of information technology services.
Your primary responsibilities as Technician Network Support (Enterprise Network Analyst) will be varied. Specifically, you will:
- Oversee LAN and WAN switches, routers, wireless and security devices to ensure that all Network connected equipment is fully operational.
- Analyze and interpret error codes, fault conditions and system responses to determine action required to return the network to normal operation, and track the network status to correct deficiencies using network monitoring equipment.
- Work with business unit and divisional staff and vendors, to maintain the effectiveness, availability, reliability and security of information technology services.
- Monitor the information technology services and infrastructure physical environment and operating conditions, to ensure performance, security and environmental control, to detect and investigate failures and deficiencies, and to develop and execute plans to correct these and/or escalate problems.
- Respond to user problems and requests related to hardware, configuration and connectivity problems, as well as diagnose and resolve problems associated with network connectivity.
- Maintain and update an online database for tracking network addresses.
- Liaise with the appropriate unit re site inspections for relocations or relocation of individual network components, pack, relocate and reinstall computer equipment for office or departmental moves, and reconfigure and rewire at the new location.
- Liaise with Systems and Network Operation in the resolution of operational network problems.
- Provide support for the Disaster Recovery Program through testing of the network components for recovery sites.
- Perform administration and operation of the Communications Network Infrastructure, including records maintenance, change control, address assignments, moves, adds and changes.
- Move, configure and install computer systems, network equipment and related devices.
- Participate in technical project teams to design, implement and provide support for Information Technology Services, and carry out changes to network hardware, associated microcode, infrastructure cabling and carrier services.
- Create and maintain documentation related to network connectivity, including configuration diagrams.
- Order and maintain an inventory of Network Services, Circuits, Cabling systems, network cards, cables, adapters and related cabling supplies.
Your application for the role of Technician Network Support (Enterprise Network Analyst) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in LAN / MAN / WAN administration consisting of CISCO routers, switches, and firewalls deployed over Service Provider links utilizing various WAN technologies such as VPLS, MPLS, ATM and Ethernet LAN Extension services.
- Experience in the implementation and management of Structured Cabling Systems for computer networked environments.
- BICSI design certification such as an RCDD and/or RITP or a BICSI installation certification such as an ITS Technician and/or ITS Installer or equivalent cabling certification or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with all aspects of installing network equipment, including cable patching.
- Post-secondary education in Data Communication, Computer Science, or Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in troubleshooting and supporting an enterprise network in a highly complex Microsoft Windows, UNIX and Novell environment.
- A recognized network certification such as a CCNA or CCNP, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a structured cable environment with managing and/or overseeing the quality and completion of work by cabling subcontractors and vendors.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of networks, network operating systems, network devices, network design principles, network analysis and telecommunication infrastructure.
- Conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work days, afternoons, nights or other shifts (temporary or long-term), including weekends, as required.
- Ability to travel within the City of Toronto and access to a vehicle.
- Commitment to customer service, performance quality, and continuous improvement.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to provide troubleshooting and support, prepare technical documentation and reports on problems, and deal effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and work independently, as required.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permit(s) and requirements as required.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.