To provide financial accounting, reporting and payroll services including monitoring and reporting on the division's financial performance and control systems. To supervise the processes involved in coordination, administration of I & T's blanket procurement throughout the City and ensures the acquisition and disposition processes for Citywide IT assets are competitive, equitable and fair and comply with City's by-laws and policies.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Reviews financial system reports and initiates corrective action where required.
- Coordinates and administers year-end closing procedures and year-end journal entries.
- Prepares year-end financial statements for liabilities, expenditure and reconciliations.
- Ensures IT's divisional expenditures, revenue accounting entries and accruals are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develops key performance indicators and ensures they are actively measured, reported to management and monitored on a consistent basis and improvements made as required.
- Prepares management information reports on a need basis and relating to the areas of responsibility.
- Develops multiyear financial comparisons, prepares cost-benefit analyses and evaluates buy/build options for IT Projects and prepares recommendations for Senior Management review.
- Participates as a finance resource in multidisciplinary project team assignments.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information affecting IT division's operations, assets and resources.
- Prepares responses to audit queries and recommendations related to job responsibilities.
- Provides IT asset usage analysis reports to divisional management to ensure accountability for usage and provides reports and analysis of non-compliance to the Senior Management Team.
- Ensures payroll, purchasing and financial transactions are recorded in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures established administrative and financial policies are applied consistently throughout the division and changes are communicated to all levels of divisional staff.
- Provides sound advice and assistance to the operating management of the division on matters of procurement, payroll, accounting policies and procedures.
- Develops and assists in implementation of divisional financial control systems, including accounting procedures and financial monitoring.
- Ensures internal financial controls are maintained in accordance with City By-laws and policies.
- Reviews and initiates follow up action on accounts receivable and implements adequate internal controls to safeguard the City's assets. Reviews and ensures timely settlement of vendor invoices and implement measures to receive discounts available from vendors.
- Ensures petty cash floats and divisional P-Cards are maintained and accounted for in a timely manner.
- Reviews and ensures timely settlement of vendor invoices and implements measures to receive discounts available from vendors.
- Provides divisional requirements for corporate procurement activity.
- Provides advice on purchasing policies and procedures, setting up of purchasing documents, sole sourcing and amending purchasing documents and contracts. Continuously reviews and updates processes to introduce efficiencies.
- Reviews, monitors and approves purchasing transactions to ensure compliance with City’s Municipal Code, policies and procedures.
- Ensures transactions are properly approved in accordance with financial signing authorities.
- Liaises with cluster and corporate financial units to ensure consistency and integration of financial reporting for the division.
- Supervises the day to day IT procurement process for all hardware and software acquisitions within the City.
- Supervises the processes related to procurement life cycle of Information & Technology blanket contracts across the City to ensure the administration and delivery of the services meet client’s needs and adhere to approved procedures.
- Updates the content related to the areas of responsibility on IT division's intranet web site.
- Maintains knowledge of technology trends and internal technology standards.
- Accounts for the City's I&T assets in accordance with the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) requirements in a consistent and auditable manner.
- Develops and ensures adherence to procedures to continually track and update the City's Asset Register for all I&T capital assets for their entire life cycle and coordinates with Corporate Finance for PSAB I&T capital asset reporting requirements.
- Establishes effective and collaborative working relationships with the division's senior management, all levels of divisional staff, City divisions and stakeholders.
Your application for the role of Supervisor Procurement & Accounting should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Completion of a professional accounting designation (e.g. CA, CGA or CMA) or Bachelor's Degree in Finance/Accounting/Business or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Experience in providing work direction, supervising, training and evaluating staff, as well as handling labour relations matters.
- Considerable experience gained through progressively responsible positions in accounting, payroll and/or procurement including vendor management.
- Extensive experience in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint and using computer based accounting systems, i.e. SAP.
- Experience in developing and reporting on Key Performance Indicators for financial and contract management services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of asset management and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards and requirements.
- Highly developed communication skills, both oral and written, at all organizational levels.
- Excellent problem-solving, leadership, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Highly developed analytical skills to research problems, and evaluate and identify solutions and resolutions.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, screening, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.