Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning, in the Policy, Planning, Finance and Administration division, the Senior Budget and Operations Analyst is responsible for coordinating and advising the client divisions on the development of annual budgets, monitoring, controlling and analyzing expenditures and revenues. The incumbent
will also be responsible for variance reporting, assisting in project planning, performance evaluation and operational and financial assignments within the client divisions.
In addition, the incumbent may need to assist with organizational, budgeting and analytical initiatives.
- Provides senior level consultation and financial advice to assigned Program clients and other stakeholders, including Deputy City Manager/Executive Director/Director Financial Management (DCM/ED) Policy Planning, Finance & Administration (PPF&A), City Manager/Chief Financial Officer (CM/CFO), Corporate Financial Planning, Budget Committee, Standing Committees, Executive Committee and Council in the development of sound financial planning, budgetary and administrative procedures.
- Oversees the preparation, consolidation, analysis and in consultation with client programs and Corporate Financial Planning develops recommended capital, operating budgets and related issues and recommended actions to client senior staff, CM/CFO and Council Budget and Standing Committees; providing strategic and technical financial advice at each stage of the budget process.
- Reviews and provides advice or in some cases completes the financial implications section of all Committee/Council reports prepared by the operating divisions and on Notices of Motions made at Council meetings.
- Coordinates and assists clients in linking Council's Strategic Priorities and multi-year business and service plans to the budget process. Advises client programs in the development, implementation, enhancement and training of corporate and divisional systems and tools that facilitate analysis, consolidation and reporting of business planning objectives for service and service level changes; linkages to corporate strategic objectives and corporate resource requirements for strategic corporate and political decision-making.
- Establishes a credible professional relationship with programs and other customers which enable the provision of value-added strategic and financial advice to programs in regard to their services, budgets, operations or core businesses.
- Ensures all financial planning and forecasting needs are met with regards to financial systems development and that the appropriate financial and budgetary controls are implemented in the program.
- Monitors, evaluates and assists programs in regards to in-year expenditure and revenue performance, as compared to approved in-year budgets through the analysis of the cause and effect of such variances. Interprets the results and provides recommendations relating there to.
- Conducts research and analysis and provides guidance on budgetary and financial matters that may be highly confidential/sensitive in nature. Researches and analyzes financial issues related to labour relations, staffing, real estate, legal issues and budget reduction scenarios affecting operations and resources.
- Develops analytical and procedural techniques in order to optimize budgetary planning and financial monitoring. Reviews and advises on improvements to administrative and financial procedures and information management systems required to monitor budgetary and financial controls for assigned division(s).
- Prepares, and sometimes presents reports, policy papers, briefing notes and/or presentations in regard to strategic, financial and operational issues related to the financial planning and performance of the program to an audience that may include Program clients, CM/CFO/DCM, Divisional Senior Management Team, outside agencies, the media, Corporate Financial Planning, Budget Committee and Standing Committees.
- Reviews and assesses financial impact of policy recommendations/decisions of Council respecting program operations.
- Participates on project teams as a financial or strategic resource in either a leadership or membership capacity.
- Identifies, performs and co-ordinates analysis and research, and provides strategic advice on immediate, mid-term and long range financial and management issues that impact policy formulation, business planning, alternate service delivery, revenue maximization, and reserve fund liability, for use by Senior Management, Corporate Financial Planning, and Committees of Council.
- Ensures decisions respecting budgetary changes are properly documented and that approved estimates and in-year adjustments are reflected in the corporate financial system and SAP.
- Plans and organizes assignments to achieve divisional and corporate objectives within tight deadline schedules.
- Provides professional advice and guidance to divisional budget and operations analysts and administrative staff, as required.
- Provides direction and co-ordinates work flow of Budget Analyst who may also support the division.
- Participates on and/or leads special project teams relating to divisional or corporate financial/budgetary issues.
- Assists Divisions in making recommendations on opportunities for contracting services in or out.
- Prepares budget reduction scenarios which may involve operational or labour relations or complement management issues.
- Prepares statistical reports, spreadsheets, graphs, analysis, budget presentations and journal entries.
- Post-secondary education in financial management, economics, commerce, business administration or in a discipline pertinent to the job function combined with relevant management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional accounting designation or approved combination of education and experience and advanced knowledge of generally accepted principles, techniques and practices.
- Extensive experience in the preparation, evaluation, administration and planning of operating and capital budgets.
- Extensive experience in variance analysis, forecasting, financial analysis and proposing effective strategies.
- Extensive financial reporting and accounting experience in a public or private sector organization.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, senior management staff, outside agencies and/or politicians and other levels of government.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to deal effectively at all organizational levels with experience in this area.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices employed in effective application of financial analysis of major business and government operations.
- Ability to motivate, lead and supervise staff.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure, and produce results within tight timeframes.
- Considerable experience using spreadsheet, word processing, presentation, and database software packages.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2291194 and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.