Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Automotive Mechanic 2 within our Fleet Services Division.
Although there may not be current vacancies, resumes will be kept on file for six (6) months and then deleted from our system. You must reapply after six (6) months.
- Maintains and repairs City vehicles and equipment and utilizes a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Performs overhaul, engine tune-ups, etc.
- Diagnoses and effects repairs of transmissions, clutches, front/rear axles, differentials, brake systems, drive lines, etc. Contacts suppliers regarding parts etc.
- Performs inspection and safety checks.
- May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff.
- May be required to tow disabled vehicles and equipment and make road service repairs.
- Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the service of other licensed trades.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Operates vehicles to move in and out of garage, do road tests and road repairs.
- Ensures that health and safety regulations are met.
- Performs other related work as assigned. Performs skilled tasks in the maintenance and repair of automotive, construction and allied equipment.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess current Ontario Government Certificate of Qualifications - Truck and Coach Technician (310T) and Automotive Service Technician (310S).
- First consideration will be given to employees who possess both licenses as indicated above. However, if positions remain available, second consideration will be given to employees who possess a valid Truck and Coach License (310T). The successful applicant(s) will be considered a 6th year apprentice and will be expected to complete the automotive mechanics licence in order to progress through the apprenticeship program.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “D” Driver’s License (with “Z” endorsement) and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements. Must be able to travel to different work locations to perform mechanical duties, as assigned.
- Considerable experience in all aspects of the maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must possess and maintain a kit of tools satisfactory to the Garage Supervisor and according to the basic tool requirements of the Central Garage.
- Must be available to work shift/ weekend/ overtime/ on call duty.
You must also have:
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Possess and maintain a kit of tools satisfactory to the Garage Supervisor and according to the basic tool requirements of the Central Garage.
- Must be able to work in a computerized environment.
- Experience with Heavy Duty Off-Road Equipment for 25 Old Eglinton Avenue East location is an asset.
- Experience with installing AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locator) VIB (Vehicle Interface Boxes) for 843 Eastern Avenue location is an asset.
Ellesmere Garage, Bermondsey Garage, Ingram Garage & 843 Eastern Ave.
Days - Monday to Friday 6:00 am - 2:30 pm
Afternoons - Monday to Friday 2:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Weekends - Friday to Monday: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
843 Eastern Ave. - Monday to Friday: 2:30 pm - 11:00 pm
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As you may be contacted via email, please ensure that your email address is kept up to date in your Candidate Profile.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2265043 and the job classification title.