Your business acumen and extensive experience as a Technical Lead in delivering and sustaining complex, critical enterprise common components, will have given you the solid foundation to excel in this critical leadership role with the Information & Technology Division.
In this role you will lead technical teams and provide senior technical consulting and analysis, development, testing, quality assurance and work planning expertise to deliver, integrate and sustain common components.
Your primary responsibilities as a Corporate Application Technical Lead will be varied, but you will be expected to:
- Directs business and technical inter-divisional staff and professional services to deliver and sustain complex, critical enterprise common components through the life-cycle and reports progress to manager, stakeholders and team members and ensures successful delivery of solutions adhering to project management methodology
- Directs the day to day work output of staff and resources including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work tasks to ensure a continuing and consistent service by sustaining complex, critical enterprise business applications and information
- Negotiates amongst divisional business and technical stakeholders with multiple points of view to drive consensus for corporate-wide solution designs
- Brings together multiple stakeholders from across all divisions and provides expert advice within the context of corporate architectures, standards, policies, procedures and emerging technologies
- Determines requirements, analyzes and recommends feasible options, designs, builds and/or codes, acquires, tests, and implements enterprise information structures and applications, and sustains information technology solutions to meet critical City-wide and divisional business objectives and to provide scalable enterprise solutions
- Applies technical expertise to recommend, develop and maintain corporate policies, procedures and standards that are consistent with legislation to ensure enterprise information and applications integrity
- Applies technical expertise to ensure security, privacy and quality assurance requirements are implemented in a manner that delivers business requirements and is consistent with MFIPPA and legislation, thereby ensuring the integrity of complex enterprise information and applications
- Applies project management expertise to lead and/or input to project management and procurement processes including the evaluation and recommendation of complex technical solutions and professional services
- On a project basis, provides direction and assigns work to non I&T positions e.g. divisional unit staff (management & bargaining-unit)
- Applies technical expertise to develop and/or input to procurement and project management documentation. Examples include business cases, RFI/P/Qs, Sole Sources, statements of work, service level agreements, project charters, project plans, status reports, issue logs, change orders, resource plans, budgets, migration plans, contingency plans and risk assessments
- Communicates effectively, e.g. leading and facilitating meetings, preparing and delivering presentations and reports. Audiences include business/project managers, project team members and other orders of government and external parties
- Develops and/or applies complex business and application models, information structures, data models, data schemas, technical program code, network and security interfaces, data and application design as governed by architectural frameworks, technology standards, information policies and legislative requirements
- Applies a strong understanding of information and technology industry and City priorities over both the short and longer term to advise, develop and maintain City infrastructures, methodologies, tools and techniques; ensures conformance and adherence in daily practice among business and technical teams
- Actively participates in corporate and cross-divisional initiatives to design, construct and implement business and application infrastructure solutions, such as; data warehousing, document management and electronic service delivery
- Analyzes and recommends changes to current business practices, business and information processes, data flows, performance measures, information delivery and knowledge utilization toward a more efficiently managed and coherently integrated information environment for all divisions in the City
- Generates the plan and directs the project team in the execution of software upgrade activities
- Applies technical expertise to perform analysis, development and testing for new or enhancements to existing complex, critical enterprise business applications and information
- Applies technical expertise to support the development and testing environments of complex computing solutions
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience as an IT Technical Lead on large-scale information technology systems.
- Extensive experience implementing and supporting application components that are integrated in business solutions, through modern integration technology using APIs, REST and JSON.
- Experience in agile and iterative software development methods, for example Scrum and Extreme Programming, and leading teams through product/component release cycles
- Considerable project management experience, leading projects or teams, utilizing project management software (MS Project) and successfully completing projects according to an established methodology.
- Experience in all stages of large-scale system development life cycle, rapid application development methodology, enterprise architecture planning approach and in process review facilitation.
- Experience in coaching, training and/or providing work direction to team members and assessing outcomes
- The City has committed to specific tools and methodologies that support large scale information and technology projects. Experience using some of the following or equivalent tools and methodologies is required. Examples include Bates Project Management Methodology (CPMI compliant), HP Testing Suite, MS Project, IBM Websphere, Software AG WebMethods, Java, J2EE, EJB, HTML, XML, Rational Rose UML, Erwin, Oracle Warehouse Builder, Powerbuilder, Crystal Reports, Visual Basic, SAP (ABAP)
- Post secondary education in computer science or a related discipline with several years of progressively more responsible experience in testing large-scale information technology systems or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
You must also have:
- Demonstrated efficiency and effectiveness in teamwork, facilitation, communications, conflict resolution, problem solving, crisis and risk management and team leadership in projects, assignments and service engagements.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare, organize and present business cases, proposals, solutions and budgets or similar formal documents and statements to various audiences, including stakeholders, clients and the public.
- Demonstrated business acumen to establish and maintain an effective consulting relationship with corporate clients and vendors, with a strong customer service orientation.
- Proven ability to negotiate effective resolution of conflicting business priorities with corporate business clients. Listening and interacting skills are essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an aptitude to work independently and collaboratively with others in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Knowledge of mainstream and emerging architectures, technologies or software products such as document management, data warehousing, and e-services.
- Ability to work with competing demands, prioritize and meet deadlines.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.