BC Cancer is committed to providing a comprehensive, provincially-planned and regionally-delivered cancer control system for the residence of British Columbia. Its mandate covers the full spectrum of cancer care from prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment, to research and education, to supportive and palliative care. BC Cancer provides care closer to home by operating six regional cancer centres in Abbotsford, Kelowna, Prince George, Surrey, Vancouver, and Victoria. Research centres in Vancouver and Victoria ensure that BC Cancer can quickly translate new discoveries into clinical applications leading to better outcomes and care.
BC Cancer is currently engaged in a Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) project, which will improve the safety, quality and consistency of patient care as well as streamline processes for care providers and clinicians through a common electronic health record.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect People ● Be compassionate ● Dare to innovate ● Cultivate partnerships ● Serve with purpose
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Start Date: ASAP
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support within a team setting.
- Arranges meeting times, books meeting rooms, notifies attendees, and circulates relevant materials as requested. Acts as a recording secretary by preparing agenda; drafting, typing and distributing minutes of the various meetings. Initiates and takes follow-up action as indicated in the minutes.
- Screens and prioritizes incoming requests for the attention of medical team staff by:
- a. Determining urgency of incoming calls regarding patients and taking appropriate action.
- b. Relaying patient information to and from doctors' offices and outside hospitals.
- c. Obtaining reports by contacting appropriate Agency departments or outside sources, on an emergency basis if necessary.
- d. Ensuring timely follow up action is taken by medical staff in response to calls.
- e. Coordinating appointments and tests for patients as requested by medical team.
- f. Accessing patient information system to retrieve patient data.
- g. Coordinating clinic and other appointments for medical staff.
- h. Initiating responses where appropriate.
- Coordinates and prepares for clinic conferences, including:
- a. Sending out notices.
- b. Typing case notes/histories.
- c. Co-ordinating patient activity with ACU staff.
- d. Photocopying.
- Prepares on-call lists and weekly staff schedule.
- Using word processing software types, formats and edits documents such as correspondence and memos from transcribing equipment, hand-written or electronic drafts. Drafts routine items for signature as required.
- Using word processing software types, prepares presentation materials such as abstracts, posters, papers, handouts and slides for educational sessions, workshops and conferences, as directed.
- Screens and prioritizes calls from all sources including patients; refers calls to other parties or provides information as appropriate. Greets visitors and handles enquiries.
- Maintains a schedule of appointments for medical staff and visitors.
- Opens, screens, prioritizes and distributes incoming mail. Maintains files of incoming and outgoing information and correspondence.
- Assists in research by typing research proposals and grant applications and by gathering information and articles from various sources such as the library.
- Maintains familiarity and complies with PHSA and BCCA directives and work standards; provides information to clinic physician as required.
- Assists with collection, collation and reporting of workload and quality assurance statistics.
- Participates in interdepartmental meetings for patient flow or workload related meetings.
- Performs timekeeping for relevant physicians and staff regarding illnesses and absence from work, and communicates information to relevant departments
- Provides administrative support for professional travel: including booking travel arrangements and submitting expenses for approval.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard at 60 wpm.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize work.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) respects your right to privacy and takes seriously its responsibilities regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of BC, section 26 (c). The personal information that we collect from you or about you when applying for a job with PHSA will be used to assess your qualifications and suitability as a potential employee of PHSA, as well as for the purposes of recruitment and onboarding. We may also collect and use additional personal information provided by you or your references in the course of the evaluation and hiring process that will become part of your employment file if you are a successful candidate.
Your contact information, education and experience, desired job location and pay information, eligibility and availability, core skills, job functions, getting to know you responses, resumes, cover letters, references, pre-screening questionnaire responses and job application history is recorded in PHSA’s third-party applicant tracking system (“Brainhunter”)in Canada indefinitely and will be shared with our staff on a “need to know” basis. If you require access to your data, PHSA can provide a printout of your data and job application history. We do not sell or rent the information you provide to us to third parties. However, we do contract with a service provider to assist us in maintaining and managing our databases and to communicate with job applicants. We do not authorize this third party to make any other use of your information.
The service provider (“Brainhunter”) allows the option for you to delete your account after signing into the system. Before deletion you are advised with a warning. Your record is permanently purged / deleted from the respective site and the record will not be available in any searches. The job will have only the respective application information that you made previously.
If you have any questions about the management of your personal information during the recruitment process, please contact the Manager, Talent Acquisition at 604-875-7251, toll free 1-866-744-7363 or #260 – 1770 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V6J 4Y6. You may also contact External Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org.