Computational Biologist – BC Cancer Vancouver
The Computational Biologist performs biological sequence searches related to the operation of a large scale, high throughput DNA mapping and DNA sequencing production facility.
In this role, you will:
- Performs biological sequence searches by: Maintains GSC biological databases.
- Inputting laboratory data into GSC analysis programs.
- Running data through public data bases and according to established protocol determines whether noted probability constitutes an acceptable match.
- Running biological sequence data through search tools available on-line via world-wide web (WWW) interfaces and according to established protocol determines whether noted probability constitutes an acceptable match.
- Documenting any matches located.
- Responds to data requests from the scientific community by searching for biological sequence information currently available on public databases and prepares summaries of the relevant information located.
- Tests and validates new data analysis software.
- Performs data manipulation and transformation by creating programming scripts using tools such as PERL, AWK, SED and UNIX shells.
- Graduation from a recognized Bachelor of Science Program in either Biological Sciences or Computer Science.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the GSC Group Leaders.
- Experience with relevant operating systems.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
- Ability to use related equipment.
If this sounds like you, apply now!
BC Cancer (www.bccancer.bc.ca) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
- Regular, Full-Time
- Wage: $30.75 to $38.33 per hour
- Monday to Friday; 0900-1700
- 600 W 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 7, 2019. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.