Post Doctoral Fellow, Experimental Therapeutics
BC Cancer Research Centre
Postdoctoral Fellow position at Terry Fox Laboratory and Center for Lymphoid Cancer, British Columbia Cancer Research Institute (Vancouver, Canada).
The laboratory of Dr. Leandro Venturutti at the BC Cancer Research Institute (BCCRI) is a newly formed research group with a keen interest in the biological mechanisms driving the transformation and progression of B-cell lymphomas (https://www.bccrc.ca/dept/lcr/labs/venturutti-lab). Our lab pursues clinically meaningful research projects to fuel the discovery of biomarkers, the development of early screening methodologies, and the rational design of disease-specific therapies. We instrument a wide array of immunological, biochemical, epigenetic, and genetic approaches, develop novel animal models of disease, and take full advantage of BCCRI’s world-class biobank of human lymphoma specimens.
We are seeking a creative and highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to join our team. The selected candidate will benefit from an excellent academic community, a thriving and multidisciplinary research environment, and a close interaction with clinical teams. This is a fully funded position, available immediately.
What you'll do
- Propose and develop hypotheses and experimental designs, in consultation with the PI.
- Plan and execute experimental work with minimal supervision.
- Organize, analyze, and present data as required for group discussions and publication.
- Maintain close interactions with colleagues and external collaborators.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new methodologies in the Lab.
- Apply for fellowships and relevant career development programs.
- Contribute to the onboarding and training of new members of the Lab.
What you bring
- PhD or MD-PhD in a relevant field (cancer biology, immunology, pathology, etc.).
- At least one first-author publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Highly desirable skills:
o Expertise with murine models of disease (transgenics, PDX, etc.).
o Experience with general biochemical and molecular biology methodologies.
o Intermediate to advanced knowledge of flow cytometry applications.
- Experience with NGS methodologies and bioinformatic skills are a plus.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
Applications will be considered on a rolling-basis, and position will remain open until filled. Please submit a CV with references and a cover letter describing career goals and interests to Dr. Leandro Venturutti at email@example.com (Subject: “Postdoc Application 2023”).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (Until September 18, 2024)
Wage: To be determined.
Location: 675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 1G1
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 08:00-16:00
Requisition # 151271E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and c 4ost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 4, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.