Medical Technologist, Stem Cell Assay - BC Cancer Vancouver, LM Labs
Under the general supervision of the Director of the Laboratory, and the day-to-day direction of the Section Head, the Medical Technologist performs a variety of clinical, pre-clinical and research laboratory procedures including processing blood and bone marrow in order to obtain stem cells for culture. The Medical Technologist performs related data entry of results, and orients staff and students to the Stem Cell Service.
In this role, you will:
- Perform a variety of qualitative and quantitative assays for hematopoietic stem cells and progenitors and evaluate their responses to specific cytokines in liquid and semi-solid media using methods such as sterile tissue culture, colony recognition using light microscopy, flow cytometry and standard hematologic staining procedures and other techniques.
- Perform enzyme-linked immunoadsorbent assays to detect cytokine levels in patient samples and culture media.
- Perform positive and negative cell separations to obtain purified cell populations.
- Process many tissue types for cell isolation, characterization and assessment in culture assays.
- Perform routine maintenance of equipment such as incubators, microscopes, laminar flow cabinets and cell counter.
- Graduated from a recognized program in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the program.
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
You also have demonstrated ability to:
- Interact productively with physicians, laboratory and other staff both verbally and in writing.
- Organize work assignments.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Operate related equipment.
If this sounds like you, Apply Now!
Reference # 85013
Regular, Full-Time (FTE 1.00)
Wage: $30.82 to $38.45 Hourly
675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 1G1
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of June 23, 2019. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
For more information on all that PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information on the Lower Mainland Laboratories please visit: http://lmlabs.phsa.ca/
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.