PHSA together with BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) took on responsibility for the delivery of health care services in BC Corrections facilities in October 2017. PHSA is mandated to improve the quality and continuity of care for clients across the province during their time in correctional facilities and as they reintegrate into the community. This will help to improve access to primary health care, as well as mental health and substance use supports for inmates, key needs that have been identified not just in BC, but internationally.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Mental Health & Substance Use Nurse, Correctional Health Services
Wage: $34.83 to $45.73 per hour
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Casual opportunities are available at:
Alouette Correctional Centre - 24800 Alouette Road, Maple Ridge, BC
Fraser Regional Correctional Centre - 13777 256th Street, Maple Ridge, BC
The Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse provides care and support for individuals with concurrent psychiatric and/or substance abuse/misuse disorders, homelessness and physical health needs. Provides direct health care services to clients presenting with a wide variety and complexity of acute and chronic illnesses/diseases including communicable diseases, addictions, mental health and general health issues. Performs physical, addiction and psychiatric assessments, refers clients to the physician for further examination, administers prescribed treatments and medications. Observes, monitors, evaluates and documents client progress, symptoms, and behavioral changes and performs a variety of health care interventions. Provides counselling, education and support to clients/groups using a trauma informed, motivational and health promotion approach. Works collaboratively with other members of the interdisciplinary team, the client, family and community. Performs job duties through a Trauma Informed Care Framework and Indigenous Cultural lens.
Education, Training and Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse or as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Two 2 years’ recent experience providing acute or community health nursing care/services to clients who have concurrent psychiatric and/or substance abuse/misuse disorders or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of community health nursing theory including mental health and addictions, communicable diseases and practice within a client/family -centered approach.
- Working knowledge of CRNBC's Standards for Nursing Practice.
- Knowledge of the BC Mental Health Act, other facilities and community resources.
- Working knowledge of facilitation, mediation, and conflict resolution techniques. Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events
- Demonstrated case management, teaching/training, clinical support and consultation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Ability to carry out the physical demands of the job.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
We invite you to apply by visiting https://jobs.phsa.ca and search either by agency (BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services), job category or location. Click on the “Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at www.bcmhsus.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.