Upcoming Career Opportunities for Emergency Medical Call Taker (EMCT) Trainees in the following Dispatch Operations Centre:
Vancouver Dispatch Operations Centre, Vancouver BC
THIS IS A GENERAL ADVERT TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST FOR FUTURE CALL TAKER OPPORTUNITIES. ONCE WE HAVE CONFIRMED FUTURE INTAKE DATES WE WILL REACH OUT TO YOU. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE DATES.
Are you a career oriented individual who thrives in a fast paced, challenging work environment, do you want to be an integral part of helping our community? If this speaks to you, then this is a career for you!
As an Emergency Medical Call Taker located in a Communications Centre, you are the first point of contact to the public who are calling 911 Ambulance due to an emergency medical situation; you are that calming and reassuring voice on the other end of the phone, it can be a life and death situation and you are responsible for providing vital information to the caller, Dispatch team, Paramedic crews, and hospitals to ensure help is on the way to the emergency event.
An ideal Emergency Medical Call Taker (EMCT) will have the ability to:
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service skills
- Remain calm and focused in stressful, high pressure situations
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer skills (fast typing with high accuracy rate) Approach problems and decisions methodically and be able to follow scripted Messaging.
- Adapt quickly in a dynamic environment
- Prioritize multiple competing tasks
- Readily assume a leadership role
- Effectively communicate and actively build relationships with other team members and the caller
- Actively seek win-win solutions
- Maintain professionalism in cases of healthy conflict and in supporting/managing differences of opinion
- Understand the vast geography of British Columbia
- Work shifts on weekdays and weekends, rotational shifts, statutory holidays as operation runs 24/7, 365 days a year
- Grade 12
- Minimum 19 years of age
- Basic First Aid (or higher license level)
- CPR Level C certificate
- 2 Years Customer Service experience
- 40 wpm Typing/Keyboarding
- Fluent English Language, spoken and written
We invite you to apply at: http://www.bcehs.ca/careers where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password to re-access your profile on our system, and submit your resume and cover letter.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for next steps which will include attendance to an information session and the successful completion of the following assessment requirements:
- Typing (40 wpm)
- Medical Terminology
- Province Wide Geography
- Online Simulation – Criti-Call
- Critical Listening
Please note: successful candidates who do receive an offer will need to obtain a satisfactory Medical Assessment, Hearing Test and Criminal Record Check.
Go ahead and apply! Stay tuned for further information regarding the recruitment process and anticipated start date.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. English is the official language used at PHSA.