BC Cancer is committed to providing a comprehensive, provincially-planned and regionally-delivered cancer control system for the residence of British Columbia. Its mandate covers the full spectrum of cancer care from prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment, to research and education, to supportive and palliative care. BC Cancer provides care closer to home by operating six regional cancer centres in Abbotsford, Kelowna, Prince George, Surrey, Vancouver, and Victoria. Research centres in Vancouver and Victoria ensure that BC Cancer can quickly translate new discoveries into clinical applications leading to better outcomes and care.
BC Cancer is currently engaged in a Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) project, which will improve the safety, quality and consistency of patient care as well as streamline processes for care providers and clinicians through a common electronic health record.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect People ● Be compassionate ● Dare to innovate ● Cultivate partnerships ● Serve with purpose
SC Surg- Oncology Surgical
Secretary, Gynecologic Oncology
Reference # 80015
Start Date: As soon as possible
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. The Secretary, Gynecologic Oncology performs a variety of secretarial and clerical duties in support of medical staff. Ensures that procedures are followed through to facilitate patient treatment and care according to medical requirements and BCCA policies.
- Screens and prioritizes patient requirements for the attention of medical team staff by:
- Determining urgency of incoming calls regarding patient treatment and taking appropriate action such as requesting charts or results of tests.
- Relaying patient information to and from doctors' offices and outside hospitals.
- Obtaining reports by contacting appropriate Agency departments or outside sources.
- Coordinating appointments and tests for patients as requested by medical team.
- Coordinating out-of-town patient appointments by performing such duties as pre-booking the necessary chemotherapy, radiotherapy, diagnostic services and accommodation.
- Accessing patient information system to retrieve patient data.
- Scheduling clinic and other appointments for medical staff.
- Performs a variety of secretarial duties for members of medical team such as:
- Transcribing reports and papers for publication.
- Typing treatment protocols.
- Typing confidential correspondence from dictation or written draft.
- Initiating and drafting routine correspondence for signature.\
- Opening, sorting and distributing mail.
- Maintains filing and record keeping systems.
- Arranges meetings; takes, drafts and transcribes minutes as required. Takes follow up action when indicated in minutes.
- Sends out notices and types out case notes for clinic conferences.
- Types correspondence and manuscripts according to publication requirements.
- Performs tasks associated with research activities of medical staff such as preparing study forms and charts according to guidelines.
- Completes registration forms for meetings, books hotel accommodation and makes appropriate travel arrangements for medical staff.
- Updates curriculum vitae and maintains records of publications and research activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keyboard at 60 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.