BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province’s most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCCH is a part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Respiratory Therapist, PICU, BC Children’s Hospital
Reference # 79311
Temporary, Part-Time (0.50 FTE until January 2020)
Wage: $29.62 - $36.97 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
The Respiratory Therapist provides routine and intensive cardio-respiratory care to patients in accordance with established policies, procedures, clinical pathways and professional standards.
Duties and Accountablilties:
- Reviews patient’s medical history, conducts assessments of the patient’s pathophysical condition, recommends appropriate care and documents patient response and outcomes.
- Sets up, checks, performs specified quality control procedures and operates respiratory equipment, making adjustments as appropriate.
- Initiates, monitors and assesses ventilator dependent patients as per care protocols and daily care.
- Recommends and administers individualized medical gas therapies.
- Provides invasive and non-invasive cardio-pulmonary monitoring.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited school of Respiratory Therapy and successful completion of the Canadian Board of Respiratory Care examination.
- Current and continuing registration with British Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) and the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT).
- Current Basic Life Support certification.
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation Program certification.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines and function efficiently despite interruptions and workload fluctuations.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate all pertinent respiratory related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
For more information on BC Children’s Hospital please visit: www.bcchildrens.ca
For more information on what PHSA has to offer please visit https://jobs.phsa.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.