Manager, Safety and Prevention
Req # 79171
Help us create an exceptional workplace characterized by positive relationships with our employees.
Reporting to the Director, Safety & Prevention and working closely with Workplace Health Managers, Human Resource Managers and Consulting Services, the Manager, Safety & Prevention plans and manages the strategic and operational injury prevention activities of Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) within the Provincial Health Services Authority and its programs (PHSA). The Manager operates in a complex and dynamic health care environment with multiple unions and stakeholders and it is crucial to develop and cultivate strong working partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders and represents PHSA interests to HEABC, Unions and other outside agencies including WorkSafe BC. Develops strategies and implements new and/or revised processes; drafts and manages related programs, policies and interpretation; leads the Safety & Prevention team; provides senior-level expert advice and guidance; investigates and resolves consistency issues; and negotiates and facilitates consensus in support of the mandate of PHSA. Manages the planning, implementation and evaluation of projects and process improvement initiatives to deliver on business goals and to align HR practices with the overall goals and objectives of PHSA.
The Manager is a strategic partner working with human resources staff to promote and foster services that enable client groups to achieve their business outcomes, participating in the development and implementation of related policies, procedures and programs as they relate to injury prevention. Accountabilities include supervising and guiding staff in a manner that contributes to their motivation, morale, commitment, contributing to a larger team environment, and participating in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the service. The Manager, Safety & Prevention provides input to the overall goals, objectives and operations of the department by providing feedback and recommendations to the Director, specifically with respect to Safety & Injury Prevention
- Develops and monitors safety and injury prevention programs for PHSA including the development and implementation of guidelines, processes and related databases to assist in addressing PHSA strategic injury prevention objectives. Oversees the activities of occupational health and safety programs throughout the PHSA to ensure that the functions are effectively managed.
- Oversees compliance with OHS regulations through the planning, implementing and coordinating of relevant policies, procedures and programs specific to occupational hazards experienced by employees. Ensures a performance monitoring system is in place to measure the effectiveness of such programs and proposed remedial action.
- Ensures the implementation and evaluation of OHS training programs including mandatory programs which satisfy regulations and promotes health and safety in the workplace.
- Negotiates with external vendors and suppliers regarding equipment and services requirements to meet critical service delivery outcomes. Develops and monitors an annual budget for Injury Prevention.
- Recruits, hires, and supervises staff by identifying vacancies, interviewing applicants, and making hiring decisions in collaboration with Director; investigating work and staff issues; and clarifying roles, outlining expectations, and evaluating individual and team performance in collaboration with appropriate internal stakeholders, peer human resources staff and Director. Provides leadership to staff through collaborative coaching, guiding and modeling key behaviours and strategies, encouraging dialogue and providing guidance and advice to facilitate resolutions to work issues. Coordinates and monitors requests for vacation, leaves of absences and sick time. Fosters team spirit, trust and mutual respect.
- Evaluates the performance of the HR area and responds to changing client needs by methods such as conducting continuous assessments of the team’s activities, facilitating feedback within and across programs and responding to changing demands. Commits to supporting an integrated and seamless service delivery model by partnering and collaborating with other HR team members. Provides input into the development and implementation of quality improvement programs and initiatives consistent with the overall direction of HR within the PHSA.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline supplemented by eight (8) years of progressively more senior experience. Attainment of a CRSP designation preferred.
Knowledge and understanding of OHS principles, theories, concepts and practices. Knowledge of the range of health and safety disciplines to manage delivery of services to client groups across disciplines, and development of multi-disciplinary strategies. Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations pertaining to occupational health and safety. Excellent decision making skills with the ability to establish and implement priorities and the ability to adapt and be flexible to changing priorities and demands. Ability to lead a team and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills. Aptitude for progressive, creative and innovative thinking. Effective communication skills and the ability to understand and effectively communicate with others at all levels of the organization. Ability to use related equipment including HR information systems, safety management systems, word processing, spreadsheet, database and internet tools.
- You build positive relationships and work in partnership.
- You mentor and engage others to ensure success.
- You work effectively in a team and independently.
If this sounds like you, apply today!
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) provides specialized health services to British Columbians. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Patients first – Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/family-brands
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.