BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the Child and Family Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Children’s & Women’s Health Centre
Surgical Purchasing Clerk /Inventory Analyst
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Pay Rate: $24.68/hour
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Develops, implements and maintains stock control systems and procedures for departmental supplies and equipment for Surgical Services (and other designated departments/areas as required by the hospital) and consults with customer departments and programs regarding requirements for specialized equipment/supplies and services. Completes requisitions for supplies and equipment, contacts suppliers and representatives, conducts inventory audits, establishes and/or revises re-order points and administers standing orders for vendor direct items and specialized equipment/supplies.
Maintains the OR Preference Card Item Dictionary (Operating Room), as well as Preference Cards systems and processes. Participates and supports the reprocessing systems used for the operating room in accordance with best practices.
- Controls inventory content and levels of a variety of departmental equipment and supplies by reviewing and analyzing reports such as inventory status and stock usage to ensure appropriate and adequate levels. Determines and establishes revised re-order points for the purpose of ensuring efficient utilization of supplies.
- Conducts regular physical checks and compares actual to recorded inventory levels; investigates discrepancies; resolves or refers problems to Care Leader.
- Administers standing orders for vendor direct items and specialized equipment/supplies by determining reorder points, placing orders for stock required, preparing purchase orders and contacting suppliers directly.
- Consults with customer departments and programs regarding requirements for specialized equipment/supplies and services, including specifications, quantity, quality, costs and deliver dates.
- Arranges for delivery and storage of consignment equipment/supplies, and completes purchase requisitions upon usage.
- Completes requisitions for departmental supplies and equipment. Receives incoming supplies/equipment and places stock in designated areas. Follows up on incomplete orders and damaged goods received by contacting appropriate personnel or source of supply and arranging for corrections or replacement as appropriate. Follows up on back ordered items; notifies and communicates findings to the Manager and the front line leaders accordingly.
- Liaises with external sales representatives to place orders for loaner equipment, trials of instruments, implants and medical surgical supplies as directed. Communicates with MDRD, Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC), and other departments on these and like matters.
- In conjunction with the Surgical Leadership Team, reviews OR slate validation reports to ensure necessary equipment and supplies are available for surgeries; assists Care Leaders to obtain emergent equipment and supplies for non-scheduled emergent procedures.
- Assists in the picking of supplies and instruments for surgical cases by providing input into the work instructions for picking and pick lists used to identify case inventory for cases on the operating room slate.
- Rotates stock and reprocesses outdated supplies according to departmental procedures.
- Maintains related documentation, processes and systems in accordance with best practice standards and in compliance with Ministry Reprocessing Audits.
- Participates in MDRD’s Quality Assurance Program by collecting data and providing input.
- Creates and maintains OR Doctors Preference Cards and Sterile Processing Pick lists.
- Collaborates with Care Leaders and MDRD regarding inventory nomenclature and locations; identifies discrepancies and makes recommendations for correction.
- Participates in the maintenance of the Preference Card System and the item dictionary in ORSOS by providing input regarding edits, updates, dictionary building, and integration with other system modules.
- Ensures departmental supplies and equipment are labeled and organized and hard copy reference preference cards are maintained and up to date.
- Maintains supplies and equipment catalogues and relevant computerized records, completes documentation as required for the maintenance and release of equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, successful completion of a Sterile Supply Processing course plus three (3) years’ recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of surgical and medical terminology.
- Ability to keyboard at 40 w.p.m.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: www.phsa.ca/careers
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca orwww.bcwomens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities