BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BCCH and BCW are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Respiratory Therapy, Professional Practice Coordinator (NICU & PICU)
Reference # 72647
Temporary Full Time (Until July 2020)
Monday to Friday 0800-1600
Wage: $38.75 to $48.34 per hour
The Professional Practice Coordinator (PPC) assists and supports the Program Managers and is responsible for ensuring the day to day operations for Respiratory Therapy in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) through activities such as scheduling, resource allocation, and supervising respiratory therapists. The PPC works collaboratively with the Program Managers, Professional Practice Leader (PPL) for clinical operations.
- Plans, implements and evaluates respiratory therapy service delivery in designated care areas, by identifying service gaps or recommending changes to improve service delivery in collaboration with the Program Managers, Medical Director, and PPL.
- Coordinates and facilitates rearrangement of assignments to provide coverage in cases of unplanned staff absences or unusual workload, provides guidance and trouble-shooting of staffing/scheduling issues, and consults with Program Managers, PPL.
- Assesses workload, coordinates and schedules respiratory therapists as per workload requirements. Acts as a resource and provides support in the absence of other clinical resource support.
- Provides input to the PPL regarding performance planning and coaching of designated staff and acts as a clinical mentor and coach. Ensures that clinical supervision to staff is provided as required and to meet regulatory and collective agreement requirements.
- Participates in recruitment and retention activities for Respiratory Therapy. Identifies staffing needs and works with the Program Managers and the PPL in the recruitment, orientation and monitoring of the discipline staff. Represents the discipline in the screening and selection of discipline staff.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduate of an approved school of Respiratory Therapy.
- Five (4) years’ recent related experience in a Pediatric/Neonatal tertiary care facility including one (1) year of leadership experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Successful completion of Canadian Board of Respiratory Care Examinations.
- Eligible for registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Eligible for registration with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT)
- Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation certification.
- Current Neonatal & Pediatric Resuscitation certification.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate and present ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize workload, establish priorities, delegate assignments and function as a resource person.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the interprofessional team.
- Ability to supervise effectively and promote interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to manage conflict situations and facilitate resolution and change.
- Ability to deal with frequently changing situations and unexpected events.
- Ability to critically analyze situations, make autonomous decisions and resolve problems.
- Ability to develop and implement short term and long term objectives.
- Ability to teach and provide instruction.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on opportunities with PHSA please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information on BC Children’s Hospital please visit: www.bcchildrens.ca or www.bcwomens.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.