BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the Child and Family Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Children's & Women's Health Centre
Neonatal Follow-Up Program
Temporary Part-time (0.80 FTE)
Start Date: December 27, 2017
End Date: March 31, 2018 (3 months)
Pay Rate: $21.26 per hour
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Performs a range of clerical/secretarial functions associated with the scheduling and registration of multidisciplinary clinic appointments utilizing computerized software and in accordance with established policies, standards and procedures. The Clinic Secretary also provides clerical support such as sorting and distributing mail, performing receptionist duties and typing material.
1. Utilizing a computerized scheduling system schedules and books patient appointments and follow-up appointments which includes booking interdisciplinary appointments, adjusting arrangements in accordance with patient and departmental requirements and notifying both patient and clinician, ensuring that appropriate date, time, and location are provided to patient, and placing appointment reminder calls to patients/families.
2. Contacts patient’s family to confirm appointments and explains multi-disciplinary appointment system. Notifies the appropriate department regarding any additions, deletions and/or changes to appointments.
3. Using computerized patient registration system, pre-registers patients for upcoming clinic appointments ensuring that all patient demographic information is accurate. At time of clinic, re-confirms demographic information and updates computer system as necessary, explains the multi-disciplinary appointment system to families, obtains written, signed consent forms from parents, authorizing release of information and photographs child and parent for NFU file.
4. Prepares for Monthly Intake Meetings by gathering patient charts and photocopying appropriate forms for distribution to Clinic team members.
5. Performs reception duties such as receiving patients, parents and visitors and directing them to the appropriate area. Answers, screens and re-directs telephone calls and documents appropriately. Receives sorts and distributes correspondence, handles inquiries regarding the clinic, and re-directs inquiries as necessary. Prints out or types appointment lists for each clinic day.
6. Assembles chart using information from patient records from both internal and external sources. Prepares charts for clinic days by pulling charts and including appropriate NFU forms, billing forms and study forms, as needed.
7. Maintains Neonatal Follow-up database by inputting patient data on the computer database system in order to establish, maintain and store such for statistical purposes.
8. Maintains and updates filing system for items such as charts. Photocopies, mails and distributes multi-disciplinary reports.
9. Maintains inventory of office supplies for the department, replenishing as necessary.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12 and two year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process" . Current PHSA staff who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal competition closes December 13, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca orwww.bcwomens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.