PHSA together with BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) will take on responsibility for the delivery of health care services in BC Corrections facilities as of October 2017. PHSA is mandated to improve the quality and continuity of care for inmates across the province during their time in correctional facilities and as they reintegrate into the community. This will help to improve access to primary health care, as well as mental health and substance use supports for inmates, key needs that have been identified not just in BC, but internationally.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Quality and Safety Leader
Reference # 65019
Regular Full Time
Reporting to the Director, Quality and Safety, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services, the Quality & Safety Leader is responsible for planning, implementing, coordinating and monitoring agency-specific, population based quality and performance improvement programs, focusing on maintaining an environment of continuous improvement. Works in collaboration with clinical and administrative leaders and staff within and across BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) to prioritize improvement projects and develops, implements, monitors, and evaluates the process.
- Works with staff and physicians to develop, implement, and evaluate indicators of quality outcomes and performance; prioritizes quality and patient safety initiatives based on program functions, needs and performance measurement systems; plans, develops and implements patient safety and quality improvement education, initiatives and materials including evaluation and sustainment tools.
- Ensures quality and safety activities across BCMHSUS programs and services are in alignment with accreditation requirements. Provides accreditation education to staff and physicians as required. Leads program level actions to respond to recommendations arising from accreditation surveys, and to address new accreditation requirements.
- Leads retrospective (e: Root Cause Analysis) and/or prospective reviews (e.g. Failure Modes Effect Analysis) necessitated by safety events, critical incidents or process issues related to the agency; monitors staff and physician perceptions of safety, risk and quality improvement.
- Proactively educates staff and physicians regarding regulatory issues, new statutes and/or guidelines, and safety, quality, and risk management activities.
- Contributes to continuous quality improvement by identifying and evaluating new initiatives, developments and trends in patient safety and quality, participating in agency lead process improvement initiatives such as imPROVE.
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Administration, related health discipline or other relevant area and a minimum of five years of clinical practice in the program area. Additional experience in leadership and quality and safety.
Knowledge and expertise in quality management, performance improvement, patient safety and accreditation standards preferred. Working knowledge of legal, ethical, and clinical issues associated with standard of care practices, and Accreditation Canada requirements. Working knowledge of evaluation techniques and methodologies including statistical analysis methods and presentation of information. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with a global perspective in order to incorporate the organization’s systems and strategies when developing viable solutions to program problems.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
For more information on all the PHSA has to offer please visit https://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at www.bcmhsus.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.