BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCCH is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence.
These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Reference # 64989
Regular Full Time
Wage: $26.99 to $3.64 per hour
4480 Oak Street
The Cardiology Technologist performs electrocardiograms (ECGs) and related cardiology diagnostic testing procedures such as cardiopulmonary exercise tests, holter hookup, monitoring and scanning, and cardiac screening in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures. Provides instruction, teaching and training in pediatric electrophysiology to staff, students and physicians.
Example of Duties/Accountabilities
- Explains and performs ECGs on patients.
- Explains and performs cardiopulmonary exercise tests and/or treadmill stress tests by attaching electrodes to the patient and recording studies. Operates equipment, analyzes data and records relevant information for interpretation by the cardiologist.
- Performs holter hook-up, monitoring, scanning and analysis for 24 / 48 hours recordings.
- Instructs patients and parents in the use of cardiac screeners and records trans-telephonic transmissions. Informs cardiologist of any abnormalities.
- Scans and analyzes ECG, stress, and/or holter reports; informs cardiologist of any abnormalities.
- Maintains equipment by cleaning and replenishing supplies. Ensures equipment is in good working order. Working with Biomedical Engineering, troubleshoots equipment problems; refers malfunctions to appropriate area. Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program in Cardiology Technology
- One (1) year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Current registration with the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists.
- Eligible for membership with the Cardiology Technologist Association of British Columbia (CTABC)
- Current qualifications in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and the ability to operate all equipment related to the position, including windows-based software packages such as word processing.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to working with new technology.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with all levels of staff and patients.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with others effectively and function as an active member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload and set priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and provide instructions.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated ability to work with children and families.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 15, 2017. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on opportunities with PHSA please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information on BC Children’s Hospital please visit: www.bcchildrens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.