BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the Child and Family Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Children's & Women's Health Centre
Paed Central Administration
Business Operations Assistant
Regular Full-time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: December 14, 2017
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Business Operations Assistant provides confidential administrative and business operations support to the Department under the supervision of the Manager, Business Operations. The role is responsible for day-to-day activities of the Department including acting as a first point of contact and triaging queries effectively, coordinating logistics, office inventory management, supplier engagement, partaking in departmental projects and taking direction from other designated personnel as appropriate. The Business Operations Assistant follows administrative policies and procedures and works independently with minimal direction to balance priorities and workflow.
The Business Operations Assistant interacts with senior leaders, managers/directors, clinical staff and administrative support staff across the organization to convey information and professionally represent the interests of the Department, utilizing strong communication abilities and facilitating the exchange of information. The Business Operations Assistant determines courses of action from established alternatives to make decisions that will have a positive impact in the Department and exercises initiative, judgment and problem-solving skills to complete confidential, time-sensitive work. Judgments affect the accuracy and acceptability of further processes or services in the organization.
• Responsible for maintaining day-to-day operations in the Department, providing reception support that respects confidentiality and ensures that administrative matters are organized and dealt with in a professional manner.
• Manages office inventory, assisting in the related budget development ensuring information is current and accurately compiled, monitors expenditures, ensures invoices are authorized to predetermined amounts and analyzes and reports variances. Completes purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forwards for processing and ensures invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
• Exchanges information with internal and external stakeholders as needed. Investigates concerns received from internal sources through relevant follow up with managers/personnel in other departments. Escalates the issue to the appropriate manager for further action, as required. Provides general business operations and project support under supervision of the Manager, Business Operations. Researches information, tracks statistical data, and compiles and analyzes data involving new projects and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
• Prepares documents including spreadsheets, correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports in an accurate and timely manner. Utilizes a variety of software applications to ensure professional standards are maintained, relevant and current data is used and end product is appropriately and professionally formatted. Compiles information into structured reports.
• Coordinates meetings ensuring well-prepared and timely agendas, identification of and notification to interested parties, compilation of background information and supporting materials and preparation of packages/summary documents to assist in decision making and meeting facilitation. Attend meetings as required.
• Designs and maintains efficient documentation and distribution systems for a variety of records and files including confidential information, such as human resources and financial information relating to the management of the Department using methods that can be easily accessible to assigned staff.
• Participates in the development and maintenance of administrative and clinical policies and helps to ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to policies and procedures.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized post-secondary program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, and four (4) years' progressive experience supporting senior level management. Project management experience/qualifications are desirable for this role.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature. Ability to be discreet when handling human resource requests or patient related information. Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines and handle interruptions and changing priorities. Demonstrated ability to work independently and make decisions to determine appropriate action to take in handling inquiries. Demonstrated knowledge and ability to utilize related equipment and computerized software packages such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, scheduling, email, and internet applications at an advanced level. Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process" . Current PHSA staff who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com
Internal competition closes December 8, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca orwww.bcwomens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.