As part of the provincial mental health services continuum, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) provides a diverse range of specialized, "one-of-a-kind" tertiary mental health and substance use services to adults across the province. These include services located at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital and six regional clinics, the Burnaby Centre for Mental Health & Addiction, and Heartwood Centre for Women. In addition to delivering these clinical services, BCMHSUS provides provincial leadership for system-wide improvement through its work in: health promotion and illness prevention; knowledge exchange; and research and academic teaching.
BCMHSUS is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Forensic Psychiatric Services
Spec Clinic Psych- Forensic
Supervisor, Clinic Administration, FPS
Regular Full Time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: January 3, 2018
Pay Rate: $24.22/hour
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Reporting to the Regional Clinical Manager, the Supervisor, Clinic Administration supervises clerical support staff, oversees the coordination of clerical work flow for the designated clinic and performs administrative duties in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures. The Supervisor establishes work priorities for and provides guidance to clerical support staff, provides input into clerical staff selection and performance evaluations, processes timekeeping for clinic staff and requests for vacations from clerical staff, and types correspondence and other documents, maintains statistical records, and prepares reports utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet and database software. Performs clerical accounting functions related to accounts payable, maintains petty cash, verifies disbursements, monitors and orders office equipment and various supplies, oversees office equipment maintenance and repairs, and monitors clinic for adherence to safety and cleanliness standards. The Supervisor also performs varied clerical functions including transcribing a variety of medical dictation.
Examples of Duties/Accountabilities:
1. Coordinates the clerical workflow by methods such as establishing work schedules and priorities, coordinating work assignments and providing work guidance and ongoing support to staff; participating in interdepartmental meetings, and liaising with other disciplines, community clinics and FPH to ensure consistency of work procedures; maintaining administrative procedure manuals and assisting with drafting new procedures and/or updating existing procedures for review and approval, and informing clerical staff of new information and changes in procedures.
2. Supervises clinic clerical support staff by methods such as determining orientation and training requirements; discussing progress and facilitating establishment of individual and team goals, monitoring performance to ensure program standards are met; and clarifying requirements, providing input into performance evaluations in order to promote quality work performance, facilitating resolutions to problems, and referring unresolved issues to the Regional Clinic Manager.
3. Performs duties related to the accounts payable function by methods such as receiving reports and related documents, matching invoices (manually and electronically) to purchase orders, verifying the accuracy of invoices and checking that all invoices and expense claims have been approved according to signing authority guidelines, following up with respective departments and/or vendors to obtain missing documentation/information, and forwarding approved and coded invoices to Accounts Payable for payment on a timely basis. Reconciles designated accounts by matching up payments received and invoices issued, tracing the reasons for differences, and liaising with Finance concerning issues and questions.
4. Performs secretarial and administrative duties for the Regional Clinic Manager by methods such as screening incoming materials, determining urgency of requests, and prioritizing items for their attention; informing Manager of emerging clerical/administrative issues and unusual circumstances, and participating in developing the plan of action; assisting Manager with creating, maintaining and managing contracts; and processing incoming and outgoing correspondence, and typing a variety of technical and non-technical material.
5. Processes timekeeping records for clinic staff by completing duties such as entering information into system within established timelines, applying time codes, answering staff questions, checking entries for accuracy, liaising with the Payroll and Scheduling & Timekeeping Solutions, and making adjustments as required. Completes and submits eForms as required. Liaises with Finance, Payroll and Human Resources as necessary.
6. Provides input into the selection of clerical staff by participating on panel interviews and providing recommendations regarding evaluation of candidates to facilitate optimal hiring decisions.
7. Maintains statistical records and prepares reports as required on various clinic activities including workload and budgetary information by methods such as setting up and updating computerized files and spreadsheets using word-processing and spreadsheet software, accessing and analyzing data from the applicable information systems, compiling, recording and tabulating data from other sources and summarizing information into report form for review by the Regional Clinic Manager.
8. Processes requests for items such as vacations, leave of absences, and terminations from clerical support staff by receiving reviewed requests from Manager and entering response into the timekeeping system.
Education, Training and Experience
• Grade 12, graduation from an approved course in medical transcription, and four (4) years recent, related experience including one (1) year in a supervisory capacity, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard at 60 wpm.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to supervise.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process". Current PHSA staff who applies to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com
Internal competition closes December 5, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.